Views
Helpful
Replies

STP Between Cisco and Linksys

dhavaltandel
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

I want to enable STP between Cisco 3560 and Linksys SRW248 G4 switches, my Linksys switch is connected to the 3560 on separate VLAN, i want to connect another link with same VLAN connecting both the switch. Here by to prevent the loop i want to enable the STP.

I have few query on this,

1) 3560 supports only pvst and repid pvst, this is it possible to enable the STP on this switches?

2) if yes, i didnt found PVST configuration on linksys switch as PVST is cisco proprietary.

3) if no, is there any other option to connect two switches in this environment with redundant links by preventing the loop?

please any body have idea on this let me know.

- Dhaval Tandel

4 Replies 4

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Dhaval,

3560 runs PVST+ which is compatible with STP on switches other than Cisco. So you need to worry about the 2 links as one link will go in blocking state.

1) We cannot enable CST on cisco switches and they default run PVST+

2) PVST is Cisco prop. but PVST+ interoperate with non cisco switches

3) See if this link helps you

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk621/technologies_tech_note09186a00801d11a0.shtml#topic1

http://safari.oreilly.com/1587052733/ch05lev1sec8

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Hi Ankur

Thanks for the quick response,

Actually i have tried by putting both link up at same time and was constantly pinging to node at other network, and as i put the another link up i got unreachable.

any idea on this?

is it due to the calculation time it take to make one link down?

- Dhaval Tandel

Hi Dhaval,

As you said it went unreachable, can you confirm for how much time or it was not reachable forever after you made another link up?

Also at the time it was unreachable we can check on cisco switch the state of the spanning tree on those interfaces if the ports are transitioning to blocking state or not.

Regards,

Ankur

HI

Actually it is my live network i wanted to configure redudant link which interconnect my branch office to HO so i cant wait up to that time, if there is some time introduction i need to plane accordingly.

that is the reason i have just keep the secondary link in to the 3560 for less than 30 Sec.

- Dhaval Tandel

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card