Boson CCNP Simulator

Unanswered Question
Jan 24th, 2008

I been certified for almost 3 years now as a CCNA and need to complete the BSCI to renew my CCNA. My budget is rather limited and I would like to study for the new BSCI, does anybody know if the new Boson CCNP simulator is worth the money?

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)

Hi There

IMHO, since the BSCI is all about routing a much better solution (if you have access to a PC/Laptop with a decent spec, dual core CPU, 2GB RAM and some IOS images) would be to download Dynamips/Dynagen.

I have found that simulators can be buggy and do not provide the full range of commands. With dynamips you run the full IOS as a virtual router and can build an entire lab which will provide all the hands on practice you could want. Some CCIE candidates run CCIE lab using this method.

Best Regards,

Michael

davehartburn Fri, 01/25/2008 - 06:27

I bought it a year or so ago and was not impressed. I can't remember exactly what was missing, but my feeling was the simulator covered less than half the course and as such was pretty useless.

I did contact them about a couple of points, as it is sold as a simulator for BSCI. They say they would look at implementing any commands I put on the wish list. I thought that was good, but not likely to solve the problem quickly.

I've just picked up a pile of 1700 routers with IOS, for free. I have had a look on ebay and they are pretty cheap (less than $20). As far as I am aware, you can do most parts of the BSCI course with them. However, they only have one ethernet port and two expansion slots. The ones I got have a serial card in each slot. I will have to go and buy serial cables for them.

If you do buy some from ebay, see if they have any cards in them.

Dave

Actions

This Discussion