cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

4948 - layer 2 issue?

lgontarsk
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I have 2 interfaces on a 4948 which are in VLAN 68, both connected to hosts. both interfaces are switchports, access vlan 68.

The hosts can't ping eachother through the switch.

Is there a restriction where you have to have a layer 3 int on the box that is working in order for it to pass layer2 traffic?

I'm not sure if this is a bug.

Our config looks good:

interface GigabitEthernet1/10

switchport access vlan 68

switchport mode access

interface GigabitEthernet1/29

switchport access vlan 68

switchport mode access

speed 1000

duplex full

interface Vlan68

no ip address

shutdown

If I take the switch out of the picture, the hosts communicate. The switch cabling is good and both ports are up.

have any of you seen this?

6 Replies 6

snsjustin
Level 1
Level 1

The VLAN being shutdown is more than likely the issue, can you do a "no shut" on it?

didn't help...

Can the hosts ping their gateway? also if you do a "show ip interface brief" on the 4948 what is the status of the VLAN?

One of the devices is the gateway.

They can ping eachother only if the 4948 is out of the picture.

Show ip int brief does show it up...

Interface IP-Address OK? Method Status Protocol

Vlan68 8.7.70.13 YES manual up up

jcoke
Level 3
Level 3

What's the output of "sh vlan"? If you change the vlan of all the ports concerned to 1 (for testing only) can the systems talk?

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1) Go auto/auto on the end-hosts and the switchports. I see you hardcoded the speed/duplex on 1/29 - change it to auto.

2) Post the output from typing show mac-address-table

3) Assign an IP on SVI 68 that belongs on the same subnet as the end-hosts. Can you ping the end-hosts from the switch ?

4) Post the arp table from the end-hosts.

__

Edison.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card