Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 3.0 Health and Utilization (HUM)

dmitry
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Was just curious if anybody piloted this new product and has some info about the issues, advantages over MRTG.

Is it using rrdtool or a regular DB, can the historic reports be generated, let's say going back 2 months into a particular day / hour.

Thanks

4 Replies 4

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I find it a lot easier to configure than both cacti and MRTG. The reports are also nicer looking, and you can email reports.

The backend is using a homegrown poller (not RRDTool) with a Sybase database (same type of database as the rest of LMS uses). Historic reports can be generated, but to save space, the data is rolled up, so the further back you go, the more normalized the data becomes.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm still trying to makeup my mind. The fact that the portal allows to create the custom portlets is very attractive in terms of getting the same Cacti or MRTG interfaces on the same dashboard and again, with a bit of scripting the LMS managed devices can be exported and configured within these external apps.

If you have LMS 3.0, you can download the 3.0.1 update for free which comes with a free 90-day eval license for HUM. If you haven't tried it out, you really should before making up your mind. The HUM portlets are kind of nice.

In my experience you need to install HUM on a box with only CS. I tested it out on a sun 240 dual proc 8G RAM, 16G swap with CS, RME, and HUM and had 50 6509's polled for the defaults. Beautiful information without the associated per polled element cost you see in Concord, but even with a polling interval of 1 hour, the box turned into a rock in a rack over the course of 6 hours. It stopped responding even at the OS level. Turned HUM off and sanity returned.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: