Views
Helpful
Replies

DFM BackupActivated alerts, DFM 2.0.10

stevek1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi folks,

I am getting erroneous BackupActivated events since I enabled the "Backup Interfcae Support Settings" Threshold category in Managing Thresholds.

Background Info: We dual home our remote site routers to separate 3560 switches and run backup interface on the primary router LAN interface, configured to bring up the connection to the secondary switch should the primary switch connection fail. Hence, I was hoping to get notification when any of our routers activated the backup interface.

As it turns out, I am getting what I consider to be false alarms such as the following examples:

1 - 2801 BRI change of state

2 - 1801/11 FastEthernet (LAN) interface change of state

These 2 conditions are being reported as BackupActivated Events.

Any ideas how I can filter these ones out? Furthermore, is my assumption correct that this feature will advise of backup interface state changes?

Cheers, SteveK.

5 Replies 5

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You are correct that this event indicates that a backup port or interface has come online. If you do not want these events for certain interfaces, you can either unmanage those interfaces in the Detailed Device View, or modify one of the customizable groups (e.g. Customizable Interface Group 1) to match all of the interfaces you do not want to generate BackupActivated events, then disable that threshold setting for that group.

That's the thing though Joe, these ports are not configured as "backup interfaces" - they are just normal router interfaces. So maybe I misunderstood the intention of this event.

In the case of the following config, I wanted to be alerted if interface FastEthernet 0/0/0 was brought out of the standby state due to failure of the FastEthernet 0/0 connection.....

FastEthernet0/0

description "Gatton LAN"

backup interface FastEthernet0/0/0

ip address 10.15.107.1 255.255.255.0

load-interval 30

duplex full

speed 100

service-policy input QPM_OfficeLAN_256Kbps

service-policy output QPM_OfficeLAN_256Kbps_1

!

interface FastEthernet0/1

no ip address

duplex auto

speed auto

!

interface FastEthernet0/0/0

description "Backup to lacsw120"

ip address 10.15.107.1 255.255.255.0

duplex full

speed 100

!

In actual fact, it seems I get alerted when any router interface changes state. We have heaps of 1800 series fixed configuration routers providing LAN switching for local PCs so I don't want events to be raised every time someone logs on or off. Your suggestion is of course to unmanage these interfaces which certainly has merit.

If the intention of the event is to notify that any router interface has changed state, may I humbly suggest that the mnemonic be changed from "BackupActivated" to avoid confusion?

Thanks mate, SteveK.

I don't think I'm seeing the complete picture. Please post the details of an event which you feel is wrong from this same device. A BackupActivated event should indicate that Fa0/0/0 came up because Fa0/0 went down. It would also help to see the Detailed Device View interface list for this device.

OK Joe,

Here is a sample Event notification:

EVENT ID = 0001EBZ

ALERT ID = 00003PW

TIME = Fri 25-Jan-2008 14:54:28 EST

STATUS = Active

SEVERITY = Warning

MANAGED OBJECT = 10.17.168.1

MANAGED OBJECT TYPE = Routers

EVENT DESCRIPTION = BackupActivated::Component=IF-10.17.168.1/11 [Fa7];Type=ETHERNETCSMACD;OperStatus=UP;InterfaceCode=CODEUNKNOWN;DuplexMode=FULLDUPLEX;AdminStatus=UP;LastChangedAt=25-Jan-2008 2:54:28 PM;IsFlapping=false;MaxSpeed=100000000;Mode=BACKUP;

CUSTOMER IDENTIFICATION = SteveK

CUSTOMER REVISION = 1.0

Attached is the detailed device report

Okay, what you need to do is very similar to my previous suggestion, only opposite. That is, you need to customize a group to match ONLY the backup interfaces (match on ifDescr since I'm guessing all 1800s are configured correctly). For THAT group, enable the BackupActivated event, but keep it disabled for the main interface group.

For example, pick Customizable Interface Group 1, and configure the ruleset like:

Interfaces.Description equals "FastEthernet0/0/0" AND Interfaces.SystemObjectID equals SOID_OF_1800

Then, float that group to the top of your Interface Threshold Groups under DFM > Configuration > Polling and Thresholds > Setting Priorities. Next, enable the BackupActivated event for that group, and disable it otherwise. Finally, apply your changes.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: