Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Monitoring w. IPMonitor

Other than a ping monitor to the IP address(es) of the IronPort appliance, and particularly for C-Series devices, have any of you used IpMonitor to monitor an IronPort (particularly to be sure the anti-spam and anti-virus services have not died), and if so, how have you done that?

Many thanks for any feedback/insight you can give on this!

Rich

9 Replies 9

I don't have any experience with IPMonitor, but a quick google search seems to indicate that you can use "SNMP Assistant" to monitor some of what you want to know. Go to Ironport's Support Portal and download the MIB files ASYNCOS-MAIL-MIB.txt and IRONPORT-SMI.txt to use with the Assistant.

We're using Nagios to monitor our C350 using a combination of TCP probes and SNMP queries. here's a screen capture of what we're monitoring:

[img:a08d74fabb]http://web.acd.ccac.edu/~bpoyner/ironport/ironport-nagios-monitoring.jpg[/img:a08d74fabb]

Many thanks for the response! We'll look into that! -Rich

Pat_ironport
Level 1
Level 1

Nagios:

It has been designed to run under the Linux operating system, but works fine under most *NIX variants as well. The monitoring daemon runs intermittent checks on hosts and services you specify using external "plugins" which return status information to Nagios

Do I need to install a "client" on any device I want to monitor?

Doc_ironport
Level 1
Level 1

particularly to be sure the anti-spam and anti-virus services have not died

Note that the IronPort will do that part itself. All of the critical functions on the box are monitor, and will be restarted if required.

Of course there's still benefits to monitoring the systems at a higher level - it's a bit much to expect the IronPort to detect if it suddenly loses all power, for example :)

Scott.

Nagios:
It has been designed to run under the Linux operating system, but works fine under most *NIX variants as well. The monitoring daemon runs intermittent checks on hosts and services you specify using external "plugins" which return status information to Nagios

Do I need to install a "client" on any device I want to monitor?

With Nagios, installing client software is optional. You can gather quite a bit of information from a client through SNMP and open ports. Installing software on the client allows more thorough "service" checks in some cases. You wouldn't be able to install client software on an IronPort appliance at any rate.

/sorry for the delay, sick all last week

steven_geerts
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

(I also posted this message in another topic)

There is a nice plug-in for Nagios available on NagioExchange.

It does several checks including monitoring the workqueue based on the info from the XML status page.
I spend some time translating the output from Spanish to English but now it's very useful.

The original version:
http://www.nagiosexchange.org/AddOn_Projects.22.0.html?&tx_netnagext_pi1[p_view]=1220

by the way: if you can script a little bit you can easily add counters to the script to make your monitoring more complete.

Best regards Steven

david
Level 1
Level 1

I am the newbie of nagios, I copy the check_ironport.sh under ~nagios/libexec folder, and manually run it fine, but when i add the following entry into nagios.cfg:
cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/objects/ironport.cfg
and ironport.cfg is:
define host{
host_name ironport1
address 123.123.123.123
}
define service{
host_name ironport1
service_description workqueue
check_command check_ironport
}
define command{
command_name check_ironport
command_line $USER1$/check_ironport.sh 123.123.123.123 admin ironport workqueue 500 1000
}

then restart nagio, but always got the error:
service nagios start
Starting nagios:CONFIG ERROR! Start aborted. Check your Nagios configuration.
Does anyone know what the problem is?
Thanks in advance.

homesh2009
Level 1
Level 1

I am the newbie of nagios, I copy the check_ironport.sh under ~nagios/libexec folder, and manually run it fine, but when i add the following entry into nagios.cfg: 
cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/objects/ironport.cfg
and ironport.cfg is:
define host{
host_name ironport1
address 123.123.123.123
}
define service{
host_name ironport1
service_description workqueue
check_command check_ironport
}

HI,

have a look at our service where you dont have to install anything.

http://monitor-it.in/

best regards,
Homesh
define command{
command_name check_ironport
command_line $USER1$/check_ironport.sh 123.123.123.123 admin ironport workqueue 500 1000
}

service nagios start
Thanks in advance.

service nagios start

There is a way to get nagios to tell you where the configuration problem lies. You want to run, as the nagios user

nagios -v /usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg

If your configuration is acceptable, it will respond with:

• Reading configuration data...
  • Running pre-flight check on configuration data...
  • Total Warnings: 0
  • Total Errors: 0
  • Things look okay - No serious problems were detected during the pre-flight check

If there is a problem with your configuration, it will tell you which file to correct and generally what is wrong with it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: