cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need Voip Design Suggestions

shirwaziri1_2
Level 1
Level 1

Here is the requirements for my client, and I need to design their network.

They need an intercom system, 10-12 phone lines, 1 or 2 fax lines, voice mail, just the basics. My concern is I need someone to see what they need to do from an infrastructure standpoint to get ready for VoIP. Do they need an updated or new dedicated T1, etc., etc., where would the gear go,

I'm thinking straight CUCM - Business Edition or maybe UC500 Series. But Will both of these work with an intercom system. IF so, what type of intercom system should I select?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

3 Replies 3

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi, I would reccomend the UC500, that is smaller, simpler and more economic. All is contained in a single box that does everything. There is no server, no hard disk, or operating system can get corrupted.

If you think they can expand, change lines, etc, get a 2801 router with CCME that is more expandable. It is the same of CU500, only requires an external switch with POE.

Is it important however that you begin with ISDN even if only ISDN BRI, this way you will have all the features and none of the problems always associated with analog lines.

And what do you mean by intercom system, what is that it needs to do ?

Intercom is for like a paging system. It is basically requires an analog port and then a 3rd party Intercom product will need to be purchased.

i don't think Cisco makes them?

No, Cisco doesn't make them.

In the US, the Bogen brand is very used and works fine with the cisco products.

I suppose that any other type can also be made to work, because the router is very flexible in what it does.

As an appreciation to those proving answers, please rate useful posts using the scrollbox below!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: