brianjpisa Fri, 01/25/2008 - 13:53

The exam certification guide seems to be the only out there. I'm sure that will not have enough information required for the exam since its only the exam guide and not the self study. I used the bryant material for my bcmsn exam, but he does not have a study guide for the iscw yet. Anybody that passed the ISCW, what did you use to prepare?

brianjpisa Fri, 02/01/2008 - 09:03

I just finished reading the Cisco press ISCW Exam Cert book and the quicksheets and as I thought, they seem to leave a lot of stuff out. It's the worst cisco press book I read so far. Is the test so easy that they don't need much study material printed? Does anybody know any other training material for this test?

b.chinnasamy Thu, 02/07/2008 - 04:45

I do agree with you, I am on the same boat as you, trying to learn ISCW properly going through the exam certification guide but cannot find a good book out there. Cisco said that they have not decided on publishing an self study guide for this. Please can some one out there send us a good link on preparing this exam atleast

jlhainy Sat, 02/16/2008 - 14:28

Regarding the CiscoPress ISCW Exam Certification Guide, I did notice that on the ciscopress website, there are 2 different editions. There is the CCNP ISCW Exam Certification Guide, and then the CCNP ISCW Exam Certification Guide, 3rd Edition.

The publishing dates are only a month apart and the table of contents are identical. Does anyone know the difference between the two? I have the older edition.

brianjpisa Sun, 02/17/2008 - 07:05

Thats very interesting. I don't see any way to buy it. I compared the table of contents and it seems that all the topics are the same. It probably won't be any better than the current one.

jlhainy Mon, 02/18/2008 - 09:40

One thing I did notice, the CD ROM has a 10 digit serial number to activate the software yet the software only wants a 9 digit number. Therefore I am unable to register the software! I am wondering if the new edition corrects this annoying mishap.

I have always had to use additional material with my CCNP studies, but Cisco Press has, thus far, been the best base line to start with.

brianjpisa Fri, 02/29/2008 - 10:51

I just got back from taking the ISCW and passed. There are things that were on the test that are not covered in any of the training material and they go more in depth on somethings that were in the material. I thought this test was harder than BSCI and BCMSN.....probably because the study material is not good.

jlhainy Fri, 02/29/2008 - 11:32

What is your job function and experience. I passed the BCMSN and found it easier than I though just because I do it every day in my job.

scottmac Fri, 02/29/2008 - 12:14

I just got back from the ISCW test ... the "Study Guide" from Cisco press is woefully lacking ... It was like taking a test for something completely different ...

I didn't even finish.

Nearly every question was exhibit or scenario based ... even if I was solid on every topic (I wasn't, thanks to the lame-ass study guide) it would be a serious challenge just wading through all the text & exhibits.

I'm depressed. I never missed an exam as bad as I missed on this one.

jlhainy Fri, 02/29/2008 - 12:24

Scott,

Sorry to hear about your test. Would you be interested in doing some kind of online group study?

scottmac Fri, 02/29/2008 - 14:39

I appreciate the offer, but I'm going to be on the road for the next couple weeks (another complicating factor) .. so time is already a bit short.

I don't think I have enough time to study for the ISCW (re-cert by March 16th or become an Alcatel guy), especially since there aren't any (worthwhile) materials available. I'll probably fall back to BSCI or BCMSN (or maybe take a whack at the CCIE R&S written).

Thanks again, good luck to us all !

Scott

brianjpisa Fri, 02/29/2008 - 12:27

I don't work with router and switch that much at all. I mostly work with ASA/PIX's, so I already knew a lot about VPN going into this exam. I just find routing and switching a little easier. I had one simulation on this exam that didn't even work correctly. When viewing the essential part of this simulation, it lagged behind. At first I thought it wasn't working at all until I got angry and started pounding on the enter key on the keyboard. I should have made a comment about that after the test, but I was so glad to be done, I wanted to get out of there.

jlhainy Fri, 02/29/2008 - 12:31

sounds like your experience really came in handy then. I have a FWSM and and VPN concentrator in my environment and I am also the admin for our ACS server for tacacs & radius so I am familiar with some of the material.

Actions

This Discussion