Helpful
Replies

%OSPFv3

alsayed
Level 1
Level 1

HI

what is the reason on this Msg:

*Mar 1 01:36:46.855: %OSPFv3-5-ADJCHG: Process 1, Nbr 1.1.16.16 on Serial1/0 from EXSTART to DOWN, Neighbor Down: Too many retransmits

R3#

*Mar 1 01:37:46.855: %OSPFv3-5-ADJCHG: Process 1, Nbr 1.1.16.16 on Serial1/0 from DOWN to DOWN, Neighbor Down: Ignore timer expired

How to fixed?

10xs

8 Replies 8

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Ali,

Can you post the config from the 1.1.16.16 and this device?

Are these switches or routers?

__

Edison.

hi edisson!

its router and 1.1.16.16 is the Lopback Address,i got this Msg from the Syslog Server right now i dont have access to this Router.any Idea?

10xs

Hi Ali,

With your brief description and message to me it looks packets are getting lost somewhere due to congestion between the links or some errors on the interfaces or something and is the reason there are multiple retransmissions and adjancy is breaking down.

Was it working fine earlier and you got an error now? I am just asking this to rule out if there is any config issue. If it was working fine earlier can you check if there are any errors noted on the interfaces.

Regards,

Ankur

Right, I understand 1.1.16.16 is the Loopback Address. OSPF uses that as RouterID. I was referring to the device holding that IP. I need to see both configuration as it can be anything, as Arul pointed out.

My first reaction could be a MTU issue or problems with the link.

More information regarding this network is needed to make a formal suggestion.

__

Edison.

ajagadee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Ali,

"Neighbor Down: Too many retransmits", this basically means that the router that you captured the logs from is sending Exstart packets and is not receiving a response from the remote side.

There could be many reasons, Duplicate Router IDs, MTU, etc. Was it working before or is this a new set up. Can you provide some more detail on this.

I am also enclosing couple of URL's that you should find useful while troubleshooting OSPF.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a00800949f7.shtml#trouble_mtu_check

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a0080093f0d.shtml#exstart

Regards,

Arul

** Please rate all helpful posts **

hey Experts

its OSPFv3!

Ali,

Same theory as OSPFv2. Follow Arul's advice.

__

Edison.

edison My Freind

i solved.it was a Wrong Command under the interface s1/0.the Command was ipv6 ospf network Brodcast.i changed it to ipv6 ospf network point-to-point by Chance.it works like that... Could y plz tell me what's happend?

10xs

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card