cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Looking for Document about Power Over Ethernet

lfranchini1
Level 1
Level 1

I have a ws-c2960-24tc (12.2(35))and a WS-C2960-24TTc (12.2(25)).

I was trying to power 3 wireless access points AP 1242's though them. I found a Cisco document that stated that you could only run a limited number of power injectors through this switch series. I have lost the document, it was a Cisco and at the time I was looking for the error on low state power injector. Does have the document or can give me link to it? I have been searching for days.

Thanks for any help

LRF

4 Replies 4

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Lawrence,

The 1242 does require 802.3af power so you would need to use this Power Injector;

1240 series* AIR-PWRINJ3

Cisco Aironet Power Over Ethernet Application Note

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/technology/poe/technical/reference/Power.html

Hope this helps!

Rob

Here is a sceenshot of the errors I get setting up a 3rd AP on a 2960 switch.

Hi Lawrence,

Here is some more related info (this looks like a problem with the mac-address);

Following the low power status message, two extra messages are displayed on the console port or when using a Telnet session that identify the actions needed to resolve this low power problem:

-Verify the required power injector is installed on this port: ().

(where indicates the CDP device detected by the access point and

indicates the Ethernet port of the CDP device.

-If a power injector is installed, issue the command: power inline negotiation injector installed.

•%CDP_PD-2-POWER_LOW: All radios disabled- LOW_POWER_CLASSIC_INJECTOR_

CONFIGURED_ON_ANOTHER_PORT ()-This message indicates the access point is in low power mode with all radios disabled and has detected a CDP device that is unable to supply sufficient power to the access point. A power injector has been configured, but it is for another port. It is likely that the access point has been relocated and has not been reconfigured for a new power injector.

The indicates the CDP device detected by the access point. The indicates the MAC address of the CDP device, typically, the switch port.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/1240/installation/guide/124h_c3.html#wp1059915

Hope this helps!

Rob

Rob,

Thank you for your help but I tried that before I even posted here in the forums.

The switch does verify the port and I have tired that commmand many times to no effect.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card