Views
Helpful
Replies

Bandwidh Mesurement

bapatsubodh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have a sertup of many different WAN links with different service providers.

Example 128 kbps, 2mbps. Hot to check the actual bandwidth given to us by service provider.

As ISP charges as per the bandwidth is there any way to check the given bandwith. Can we give any commands on router ( ping , trcaert ) and then check responce to calculate the given bandwidth. ( at absolotuly no user traffic condition ). Running bandwidth monitoring tools available on internet can not be used due to security reasons. I have to rely on cisco internet router commands to find the bandwidth.

Thanks in advance.

Any link on cisco.com is apprecialbe.

Subodh

3 Replies 3

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I'm afraid that's not possible. The only way to find out your limit is to stress the circuit and check the interface on how fast the packets are sent until it reaches its limit.

Starting a couple of huge downloads from the 'net would be a good test.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The only router tool I've found that can sometimes stress a circuit is if TTCP is embedded within the IOS. (Most don't appear to have it.)

An easy way to stress a circuit is some type of external traffic generator. There are some free ones that will run on PCs that are often good enough.

Using one to generate traffic inbound from the Internet is often a problem unless you have access to another Internet connected site with more bandwidth capacity then the one you're testing.

Edison's suggestion of downloading large files is good. For best results, you often need to run multiple and concurrent downloads, also often from different sites.

dave.keith
Level 1
Level 1

We've used a product called Qcheck for this purpose. It does an "end-to-end" test, and needs a client on the remote side. Check it out here :

http://www.ixiacom.com/products/performance_applications/pa_display.php?skey=qcheck

It seems quite accurate on the lines we've tested, and it is small and fast.

Dave

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card