Views
Helpful
Replies

L3 Switch Question

keeleym
Level 5
Level 5

Hi All

I have a question regarding L3 switches.

I am studying for my CCNP at present (BCMSN) and have added 4 L3 switches to my home lab. I have the following,

2 x 3550 EMI models

1 x 3750 Metro

1 x 3750

I usually try and buy equipment with future studies in mind and although CCIE is a long way off and chances are hardware requirements will have drastically changed by the time I get there, I have seen it mentioned that the recommendation for L3 switches for the IE lab is 2 x 3550s and 2 x 3560s and this got me thinking...

So to my question. Is there anything that a 3560 does that cannot be done with a 3750, or do they have much the same features, if running the same code level (ip base, ip services, adv ip services)?

Best Regards,

Michael

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If there is it is very minor differences . The only difference that I know is that the 3750's can be stacked using stack cables in the back of the units . You stack together up to 8 switches via the stack cables and manage the stack with a single ip address , the 3560's don't have that feature .

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If there is it is very minor differences . The only difference that I know is that the 3750's can be stacked using stack cables in the back of the units . You stack together up to 8 switches via the stack cables and manage the stack with a single ip address , the 3560's don't have that feature .

Minor correction (I believe), 3750s can stack up to 9 units.

Agree with Glen, primary difference between the 3650 and 3750 is the stacking capability of the latter. ME3750 though is different. You could look through this Q&A http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps5532/prod_qas09186a00801eb822.html which documents some of the differences.

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Michael,

3750 can give you more but never less. As long as you have L3 switches you are good to go.

HTH

Ankur

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card