ICND1 Module 1 test errors or... ?

Unanswered Question
Jan 27th, 2008

Question Number 1

In ICND1 and ICND2 Practice Questions, ICND1, Module 1 test question 46: Which minimum category of UTP is required for Ethernet 1000BASE-T?

1.)Category 3

2.)Category 4

3.)Category 5

4.)Category 5e

The correct answer is 4.)Category 5e, shouldn't it be 3.)Category 5

Question Number 2

In the same test question 48: Which three characteristics pertain UTP? (choose three).

1.)UTP cable is an eight-pair wire.

2.)An insulating material covers each of the individual copper wires in UTP cable.

3.)The wires in each pair are wrapped around each other.

4.)There is limited signal degradation from EMI and RFI.

5.)There are seven categories of UTP cable.

Correct answers are: 2,3,5

I am confused with answer 5. If we count that category 5e is not the same as category 5 (look question number 1 there are 5 and 5e), so we have 8 not 7 UTP categories. So, which one is the correct third answer?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
jrensink78 Mon, 01/28/2008 - 18:58

I can't speak to how many categories of UTP there are. But in terms of your first question, Cat5e is the standard for Gb connections. I wouldn't ever use anything less.

a.jurkonis Mon, 01/28/2008 - 23:38

But the question ask about minimum category, and Gb works with Cat5, so...

Hi There

This is one of those theory versus real life questions.

Although you may be able to use CAT5 cable for a 1GB link, this is not what is recommended and doing so in the real world could lead to problems when you have problems.

If you phoned a vendors support desk with a problem where you suspect the hardware and tell them you are using CAT5 cable for your GB connections, they are likely to blame the cable as it si a lower grade then that specified for these connections.

Remember, just because you can do something does not mean that you should and in an exam will not mean that it si right.

Best Regards,

a.jurkonis Tue, 01/29/2008 - 00:28

No, I know that 5e is better that 5, but I would like to know the answer. Question ask about 1Gb minimum cable, so it is 5 or 5e?

P.S. how I know what cisco means in its questions if in cisco press books the Cat5 is mentioned as a minimum cable for 1Gb?

This Discussion