Connecting Independant Fiber Switches

Unanswered Question
Jan 27th, 2008

I am new to FC storage however have a simple question. I have two clients who want to connect and provide secure access between each others FC networks. Is it possible to connect a Cisco MDS 9124 and Brocade 200e together however maintain independent configurations?

If so does anyone have a link on CCO to do this?

Everyone I have asked so far has stated that in order to connect two switches the fabrics have to become one? In the R&S world this is not the case. Since they are two different organizations they must be independently managed.

Any help would be great!

Thanks,

Jason

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
mkoch Mon, 01/28/2008 - 04:15

Hi,

Fibre channel is a very different technology than R&S...

If you connect the two switches you are going to merge the fabrics, this is how the fibre channel standards work.

You could isolate the two to some extend by using a VSAN on just the port where the brocade switch is connected (i suspect you will need interop mode anyway) and use IVR.

rergards,

Michael

stephen2615 Tue, 01/29/2008 - 22:48

You would need interop mode and we all know that Brocade does not really like doing it with Cisco and might not even support that config. IVR is not possible as the switch is a 9124 that is not capable of that feature. One switch would become the principal switch so that means the two can't really be managed by different organisations.

I would find another way of sharing the data especially if the "customers" want their own management facility. RBAC is possible in some way or another on both switches (if you believe Brocade) but it is not a good solution.

Some companies provide some "strange" sharing of data but I imagine their infrastructure is a lot more advanced than entry level switches.

Not the news you wanted is it?

Stephen

Actions

This Discussion

Trending Topics: Storage Networking