cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Password Change on Pix 515e

rwamstutz
Level 1
Level 1

All, I inherited a PIX that I need to change the passwords to. Currently it has:

enable password xxx

passwd adfasdfnen encrypted

I am wanting to remove these two passwords and create a username and password for the login.

If I enter the command no enable password encrpyed or no password, then do a show run, those commands are still in the config.

Your help is appreciated.

7 Replies 7

ajagadee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

To change the enable password of the PIX Firewall:

pixfirewall(config)# enable password

- To change the login password of PIX Firewall:

pixfirewall(config)#passwd

Make sure that log in, make the changes and test it using another connection before you log out for your current session.

I am also enclosing the URL that has links to the command reference.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_tech_note09186a0080094885.shtml

Regards,

Arul

** Please rate all helpful posts **

thank you for your reply. How can I log in using a username and password, instead of just a password?

pixfirewall(config)# username password

Please refer the below URL for additional details

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/pix/pix62/command/reference/tz.html#wp1026631

Regards,

Arul

Arul, I have that, the pix still prompts be just for a password at login, not for a username.

Can you configure the below two commands and let me know if it works.

aaa-server LOCAL protocol local

aaa authentication telnet console LOCAL

If this does not work, please post the current configuration from the Pix and I will take a look at it and assist you.

Regards,

Arul

Arul,

This prompts for username and password, but VPN Remote user can telnet into the PIX and log in as themselves, but if they do an Enable, it prompts them for a password. How can I prevent users from Telneting the the pix, but only allow VPN Client Access?

Hi ,if you vpn client can telnet PIX, you probably have telnet wide open,

telnet 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 inside

change it to

telnet x.x.x.x 255.255.255.255 inside

x.x.x.x is your management PC's IP or your can define a range excluding any subnet you don't want.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card