cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Etherchannel issue on 6500 (err-disable)

adirinaldi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Currently I'm working on 2 6500 (let say, C6506 & C6509) and try to configure etherchannel between those two.

C6506 is using WS-X6724-SFP, connecting to C6509 via WS-X6816-GBIC.

If there is only 1 cable on the bundle, the port-channel is up and working properly. But when the second or third cable is join the bundle, the C6506 will generate error message:

PM-4-ERR_DISABLE: Channel-misconfig error detected on [chars], putting [chars] in err-disable state.

And the interface will went into "down" state.

I have checked both switches for misconfig, but can't found any.

The configuration is as follow:

interface <interface-id>

Switchport

Switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

Switchport mode trunk

channel-group 1 mode on

interface port-channel 1

Switchport

Switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

Switchport mode trunk

C6509 running native IOS 12.1(13)E6.

C6506 running native IOS 12.2(18)SXE6.

I tried different combination on both switches, ON/ON, ACTIVE/PASSIVE, DESIRABLE/AUTO. Nothing worked.

The last thing is instead of connecting to C6509/WS-X6816-GBIC, I'm using GBIC on Supervisor (same switch, WS-X6K-S2U-MSFC2) and it worked. But the thing is using Supervisor GBIC I can only achieve max 2GB on the bundle.

Please help me solving this, and Thanks.

7 Replies 7

s.arunkumar
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Arun,

I have check all the necessary conditions for etherchannel, and everything are met.

But one thing, I haven't try is to hardcode duplex setting on both interfaces, currently they are running default duplex setting. I'm afraid that the default duplex setting between 6816-GBIC & SFP is different.

Adi

yjdabear
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Check using "show monitor" to make sure none of the ports in the Etherchannel is not a member of any SPAN session.

Hi Yi,

I have issue the show monitor before and none of the ports are member of SPAN.

Adi

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Take them down and then bring them all up at the same time with the interface range command and see what happens or do a shut on the int portchannel 1 interface and then do a no shut .

Hi Glen,

Yes, i have tried to shut/no shut the interface at the same time none of them worked, I suspect that the default duplex setting between line cards is different, I'm going to try hardcode the duplex setting.

Adi

could you post here the configuration of all 4 ports and the exactly syslog messages which you see?

the most usual problem is the different VLAN list or differnt native VLAN.

if you suspect the speed/dupley mistmatch then try to configure them manually.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco