VTP Mode

Unanswered Question
Jan 28th, 2008
User Badges:

Hi NetPro,

currently i am running in Flat Network 2 Tier. only 1 Vlan used for entire network. unfortunately 5 switches all running in vtp server mode. would it be possible i configure the domain name and change the vtp mode to client/transparent (4 switches) without any down time ?

thanks and your reply will be highly appreciated.

regards,

jack

Overall Rating: 2.8 (3 ratings)
downloadios Mon, 01/28/2008 - 23:34
User Badges:

of course u can, u can setup your switch in vtp client or transparent or in diff name domain.

ney25 Mon, 01/28/2008 - 23:49
User Badges:

Hi ,

thanks for reply, these switches are in live.

my question was can i change the vtp mode from server to transparent without causing any downtime or impact to servers, end users .. etc.

thanks.

regards,

jack

shrikar.dange Tue, 01/29/2008 - 00:04
User Badges:
  • Bronze, 100 points or more

hi,

since you are using only one vlan in your entire network there will be no harm creating a VTP transperent mode from server mode.

The general practice say that you need to configure all the vlans on the switch you intend to use as a VTP server and choose the switch with higher revision number as a VTP server.Or change all the switches to transperent mode (this causes the revisoin number to become zero) then configure all vlans on the switch you want to be as a server.Then change the switch to server and cleint mode accordingly.

HTH,

regards,

shri :)

ney25 Tue, 01/29/2008 - 00:43
User Badges:

Hi Shri,

thanks for the information.

regards,

jack

Actions

This Discussion