Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP Mode

ney25
Level 2
Level 2

Hi NetPro,

currently i am running in Flat Network 2 Tier. only 1 Vlan used for entire network. unfortunately 5 switches all running in vtp server mode. would it be possible i configure the domain name and change the vtp mode to client/transparent (4 switches) without any down time ?

thanks and your reply will be highly appreciated.

regards,

jack

4 Replies 4

downloadios
Level 1
Level 1

of course u can, u can setup your switch in vtp client or transparent or in diff name domain.

Hi ,

thanks for reply, these switches are in live.

my question was can i change the vtp mode from server to transparent without causing any downtime or impact to servers, end users .. etc.

thanks.

regards,

jack

hi,

since you are using only one vlan in your entire network there will be no harm creating a VTP transperent mode from server mode.

The general practice say that you need to configure all the vlans on the switch you intend to use as a VTP server and choose the switch with higher revision number as a VTP server.Or change all the switches to transperent mode (this causes the revisoin number to become zero) then configure all vlans on the switch you want to be as a server.Then change the switch to server and cleint mode accordingly.

HTH,

regards,

shri :)

Hi Shri,

thanks for the information.

regards,

jack

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco