Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade CCM 3.3(3) to ... which?

Hi,

I currently use CCM 3.3(3) running on MCS-7835H-2.4-EVV1 serving about 100 IPPhones. I would like to upgrade it but thruly am not sure to which version. It seems that 4.3 should be enough in regards to required functionalities. However, I am concerned about the future of this release. I wouldn't like to perform additional upgrade in 2 years after 4.3 becomes EOS, or so. What is the advice? Should I upgrade to 5.x or maybe to 6.x? Should I also change hardware?

6 Replies 6

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Krzystof,

It is hard to say what version to upgrade to depending on what "feature set" you are looking for. CCM 4.3 has not been announced for EoS/EoL yet so the dates will be a ways down the road. Here are the CCM 4.2 EoS/EoL to work from (so 4.3 will be somewhat later);

End-of-Life Milestones and Dates for the Cisco Unified CallManager Version 4.2

End-of-Sale Date

The last date to order the product through Cisco point-of-sale mechanisms. The product is no longer for sale after this date.

May 15, 2008

Last Ship Date:

App. SW

The last-possible ship date that can be requested of Cisco and/or its contract manufacturers. Actual ship date is dependent on lead time.

August 13, 2008

End of SW Maintenance Releases Date:

App. SW

The last date that Cisco Engineering may release any final software maintenance releases or bug fixes. After this date, Cisco Engineering will no longer develop, repair, maintain, or test the product software.

May 15, 2009

End of New Service Attachment Date:

App. SW

For equipment and software that is not covered by a service-and-support contract, this is the last date to order a new service-and-support contract or add the equipment and/or software to an existing service-and-support contract.

May 15, 2009

End of Service Contract Renewal Date:

App. SW

The last date to extend or renew a service contract for the product.

August 11, 2010

Last Date of Support:

App. SW

The last date to receive service and support for the product. After this date, all support services for the product are unavailable, and the product becomes obsolete.

May 15, 2011

End-of-Life and End-of-Sale Notices

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/prod_eol_notices_list.html

---------------------------------------------

For the CCM 5.x vs 6.x debate my vote would be to go straight to 6.x due to the features and stability.

---------------------------------------------

You will want to upgrade your Hardware as well as your model is EoL in March 2009 :(

EoS/EoL Annoucement for the Cisco MCS 7835H-2400

End-of-life announcement date

The date the document that announces the end of sale and end of life of a product is distributed to the general public.

December 16, 2003

End-of-sale date

The last date to order the product through Cisco point-of-sale mechanisms. The product is no longer for sale after this date.

March 16, 2004

Last shipment date

The last-possible ship date that can be requested of Cisco and/or its contract manufacturers. Actual ship date is dependent on lead-time.

June 16, 2004

End of software maintenance releases date

The last date that Cisco Engineering may release any final software maintenance releases or bug fixes. After this date, Cisco Engineering will no longer develop, repair, maintain, or test the product software.

March 16, 2005

[Required Milestone for Hardware] End of Routine failure analysis date

The last possible date a routine failure analysis may be performed to determine the cause of product failure or defect.

March 16, 2005

End of new service attachment date

For equipment and software that is not covered by a service-and-support contract, this is the last date to order a new service-and-support contract or add the equipment and/or software to an existing service-and-support contract.

March 16, 2005

End of service contract renewal date

The last date to extend or renew a service contract for the product. The extension or renewal period cannot extend beyond the last date of support.

December 16, 2008

Last date of support

The last date to receive service and support for the product. After this date, all support services for the product are unavailable, and the product becomes obsolete.

March 16, 2009

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6790/ps5748/ps378/prod_end-of-life_notice0900aecd800d8131.html

Hope this helps!

Rob

Hm, according to that announcement the only thing changed in replacement product (MCS-7835H-3.0-IPC1) is CPU (it is now 3.0GHz, instead of 2.4GHz in MCS-7835H-2.4-EVV1). No other changes. Is there any reason for upgrading HW? All new CUCMs run on old MCS :-)

dezoconnor
Level 4
Level 4

Your servers are still supported on the latest CUCM versions:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6790/ps5748/ps378/prod_brochure0900aecd8062a4f9.html

Personally, I'd go for 6.1. You're upgrade path would be something like 3.3>4.1>5.1>6.x

or 3.3>4.1>4.2>6.x

Thanks all for comprehensive explanations. Regariding cascading upgrades, can you tell me how pricing and licensing is solved? I cannot find a product number for upgrading 3.3 to 6.x. Does this mean that I have to buy two upgrades 3.3 > 4.2 (CM4.2-U-K9-7835=) for 4k USD and then 4.2 > 6.x (CM6.0U4-K9-7835=) for additional 8k USD? What about licenses, can I request free licenses covering existing IPPhones or should I consider additional costs for licenses? And regarding hardware upgrade, is there any low-cost option for HW upgrade or I should rather buy new server along with CUCM 6.x (MCS7835H2-K9-CMB1) for 12k USD leaving SW upgrades behind?

Technically all you're doing is upgrading s/w so new hardware and licensing shouldn't be needed (but I could be wrong). Best contact your supplier (Cisco Partner) for part codes etc.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Krzysztof,

The reference about the Hardware needing to be changed is really due to the End of Support in March 2009. Most companies don't want to run on non-supported equipment (especially for something like Voice).

The truth of the matter is that the new CCM Versions can be supported on the Hardware but when you are planning an upgrade it is a great time to look at both the Harware and Software to see if the changes can be done at the same time. You may also find that due to the complexity of the 3.3 to 6.x change that having new boxes is a real bonus.

Just my two cent$

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: