cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

unity deleted voice mail

whanson
Level 2
Level 2

if the system is saving deleted voicemail is there a way to have unity delete it permanently after so many days or do you need to use the manager tool to set this up

3 Replies 3

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Bill,

There are some good references in this doc for how to purge these Messages after X number of days;

From this excellent doc;

Unity: Set a Recovery Period for Deleted Voicemail Configuration Example

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_configuration_example09186a008060d71e.shtml

Hope this helps!

Rob

Rob, fantastic but if you simply set the retention of deleted messages to x amount of days, shouldn't they just be gone?

No, that setting in Exchange is for how long items that have been permanently are left on the system where you could restore them from using the "Restore From Deleted Items" option in the OWA (if you're using VMO) or Outlook Interface if you are using a full unified messaging solution. I just went through this myself.

Here's how I have my system setup now:

Unity is set to copy deleted messages to the Deleted Items folder.

Exchange is setup to keep deleted items for 1 days.

Message Store Manager is set to Flush Messages that arrived more than 7 days ago.

What does that all mean in the end? When a user deletes a VM message it goes to the deleted items. Those messages will be kept there for 7 days. After 7 days they removed by the Message Store Manager from the Deleted Items folder, but can be recovered on the 8th day by going into the Deleted Items folder through Outlook or OWA and using the "Recover Deleted Items" option. After the 8th day, Exchange flushes the messages away forever!

Hope that helps! Remember to rate helpful posts!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: