cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

which ASA version is the most stable ?

josephium
Level 1
Level 1

hi, i currently run the 7.2 version. i am thinking of an upgrade, is the 8.0 or 8.03 a better stable version ? plz advice

5 Replies 5

ajagadee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Is there a specific reason for you upgrading your ASA. For example, a feature in 8.0 or a software caveat that is fixed 8.0.

Also, are you doing any IPSEC or SSL VPN on the ASA. 7.2(3) has been very stable with IPSEC but if you are doing SSL VPN, you may want to consider 8.0 since there were some key bug fixes that went into the code. You can check the release notes for details.

Regards,

Arul

** Please rate all helpful posts **

exactly , if i am interested in SSL VPN, have anyone tried 8.0 and/or 8.03 , which one is more stable ?

Hi,

We are running an pilot on 8.0.3 and we could not use any other version because of the features it delivers for ssl vpn. We implement a strategy that for each purpose we have a different box. That means for ssl vpn, firewalling and ipsec we use 3 different asa boxes.

But be aware that Cisco states for firwalling purposes you should stay at 7.2.x.

If you are planning to do SSL VPN, then go with 8.0 code, whichever one is the latest. There were a lot of bug fixes, specifically for SSL VPN that went into 8.0, so you are better off going to 8.0 then 7.2. Ofcourse, always go through the release notes and be prepared for any known issues, so there are no surprises :-)

Regards,

Arul

** Please rate all helpful posts **

thomasdzubin
Level 1
Level 1

Just as a minor point, although I didn't upgrade my ASAs to v8 for any firewall features, I found the ASDM client upgrade that came with it to be worth it. Much better interface for end-users.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: