Views
Helpful
Replies

Remove Password encryption

majdalani
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

i have applied the following command in the config mode : service password-encryption

how can i remove it ? so that the passwords are no longer encrypted ?

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Once encrypted passwords will stay so until you cancel encryption with no keyword AND enter them from command line again.

View solution in original post

Tarek

Collin has given exactly the right answer. But it may not seem that way when you apply the no service password-encryption command. Be aware that this command turns off password encryption. But that passwords that have been encrypted and stored in the config as encrypted will remain encrypted even when you turn off the service. The only way to get those passwords into clear text is to configure the passwords again after the service for encryption is turned off.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Andriy is correct. Since these are VTY passwords they must be removed then re-added. You could also reverse the password since these passwords have weak encryptions.

6 Replies 6

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

no service password-encryption

With most Cisco configurations, the no keyword removes the command.

HTH and please rate

Hi,

yep i know that, and i have tried that, but the password is still encrypted, i even type wr mem, closed the session, telnet to the swicth again, and it is still shown :

line vty 0 4

password 7 01100F074F

login

line vty 5 15

password 7 00071A0510

Once encrypted passwords will stay so until you cancel encryption with no keyword AND enter them from command line again.

Andriy is correct. Since these are VTY passwords they must be removed then re-added. You could also reverse the password since these passwords have weak encryptions.

Tarek

Collin has given exactly the right answer. But it may not seem that way when you apply the no service password-encryption command. Be aware that this command turns off password encryption. But that passwords that have been encrypted and stored in the config as encrypted will remain encrypted even when you turn off the service. The only way to get those passwords into clear text is to configure the passwords again after the service for encryption is turned off.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi , Thanks to all.

I have understand it now.

yep i change the password once again and the password appeared again.

Thanks again,

Tarek

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: