Help me for my start!

Unanswered Question
Jan 29th, 2008

Hi,

I am a 17 year old boy from Bangalore, India and I am pursuing my 1st year of engineering in Information Technology from CMRIT.

Upon motivation from my 2 uncles who are CCNA (and might be CCNP also), and also since I have very much interest in the world of Networking, I thought of preparing for CCNA.

Now, I want to make it clear that I have to intentions of giving the exams now itself.

I just want to know the basics required so that in near future, if I am ready to give the exam, then my foundations are concrete.

I want guidance from you guys that what 1st step should I take and also let me know about the CBTs available and Books.

Thanks a lot

-Pragith

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Kevin Dorrell Tue, 01/29/2008 - 23:38

Pragith,

Welcome to the field of networking! Does your course at CMRIT cover networking topics? Perhaps that would be a good foundation. Do you have access to any networking lab equipment ... really the best way to learn is by doing.

You could have a word with your uncles to see if they still have any of their CCNA preparation books that you could borrow. It really depends when they got their CCNA, because this field moves so fast. Any CCNA preparation book published in the last 4 or 5 years could be useful; anything older than that is likely to contain a lot of stuff that is no longer relevant.

If you are starting from scratch, I think you will need to read some foundation book, such as the ICND book or the CCNA prep library from Cisco Press. There are many other independant sources as well ... just search CCNA on Amazon.

Once you have a foundation, there is a wealth of other resources. Have a look in the Cisco Certifications Community on www.cisco.com ; there is a dedicated CCNA Preparation web site that has lots of useful documents, and some good TV presentations.

http://forums.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/CertCom?page=main

http://forums.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/PrepCenter?page=main

Finally, keep coming back to NetPro and read the postings. There is a lot of useful discussion here, and a lot of people who will help you out if there is something specific that you don't understand. (But do please read about the subject before posting - you will learn a lot by doing some of the research yourself first.)

Good luck with your studies, and we can look forward to your active participation here.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

pragithprakash Wed, 01/30/2008 - 01:06

Thanks a lot for taking time and replying to my query sir.

CMRIT doesn't offer any course on Networking. For practicing the Router commands, I use Boson NetSim.

Informally speaking, I fall asleep by reading books. I would give preference to CBTs.

The unique codes after all the topics, like 640-801, 802, and ICND followed by codes, are very confusing for me. I understood the 640-801, 802 stuff, but the ICND is a little bit tricky. Kindly explain about ICND.

I would be glad if you could list any CBTs offered by companies like LearnKey, CBT Nuggets, etc.

Also, please tell me that do I need to have a solid foundation about Network+ to enter CCNA?

Thanks for your wishes, and I am looking forward for spending some quality time in this forum.

Actions

This Discussion