Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading CUCM6.0-BE to 6.1

olighec
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have been looking to upgrade my CUCM6.0 Business Edition to 6.1 and have finally found the install media on the CCO download site.

However, there is only the CUCM6.1 DVDs, there is no option for Business edition. The files are UCSInstall_UCOS_6.1.1.2000-3.sgn.iso_part1of2 and ""_part2of2.

Does BE use the same install media, or is there a separate install media that I need so Unity Connection is upgraded as well. Do I just download the Unity Connection media separately and upgrade that after?

thanks,

Chris

10 Replies 10

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Chris Business Edition does use the same 6.1(1a) media. Here are the release notes (new) and the systems test notes;

CUCM-BE Release notes for 6.1(1)a

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucmbe/rel_notes/6_1_1/cucmbe-rel_note-611a.html#wp290973

System Release Notes for IP Telephony:

Cisco Unified Communications System, Release 6.1(1)

It is standard methodology for Cisco Systems to perform system-wide testing of the Cisco Unified Communications family of products, supplementing the product-level testing performed on each Cisco Unified Communications product. This document provides release notes for the testing conducted on systems composed of the following types of components:

•Call control components, such as Cisco Unified Communications Manager, Cisco Unified Communications Manager Business Edition, and Cisco Unified Presence

•Voice applications, such as Cisco Emergency Responder

•Conferencing components, such as Cisco Unified MeetingPlace, Cisco Unified MeetingPlace Express, Cisco Unified Videoconferencing, and Cisco Unified TelePresence

•Voice mail and unified messaging components, such as Cisco Unity, Cisco Unity Connection, and Cisco Unity Express

•Endpoints and clients, such as Cisco Unified IP Phone 7900 Series phones, 3900 Series Phones, Cisco IP Communicator, and Cisco Unified Personal Communicator

•Wireless and mobility components, such as Cisco Aironet Access Points, Cisco Unified Mobility Advantage, and Cisco Unified Mobile Communicator

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/systems/unified/uc611/relnotes/rnipt611.htm#wp1449599

Hope this helps!

Rob

Rob,

Thank you! That was exactly what I needed to know. I just didn't want to use incorrect media and end up messing something up.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris,

You are always welcome! Let us know how things work out.

Best of luck!

Rob

One more quick question:

Is there a version table that notes the different version numbers for 6.0 and 6.1? I noticed in the release notes for 6.1(1a) that you should only upgrade to 6.1(1a) from 6.0(1a).

I have 6.0.1.1000-37. Do I need to do an intermediate upgrade to 6.0(1a) before I proceed to 6.1(1a)?

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris,

I wish that I had a clear answer for this but sadly I don't. In all the release notes the versions 6.0, 6.0(1) and 6.0(1a) are interchanged at will. We do know that your version is the original or FCS (First Customer Ship) version and not 6.0(1a). I would contact TAC to clarify or do the intermediate upgrade to 6.0.1.2000-4 (6.0(1a)) just to be safe.

Sorry man!

Rob

Rob,

No problem! I will contact TAC to make absolutely sure before I upgrade. That last thing I want to do is make a brick out of my callmanager. :)

- Chris

Good Luck... I did perform an upgrade after I found documentation for BE that talked about the upgrade. It does work but now TAC is tellig me that you cannot upgrade BE. Plus I am having issues with my Presence server now. Here is the reply from TAC (I think they are wrong and I have escaled this to many internal levels at Cisco):

I was just finishing with the tests on my server. Some interesting stuff

here:

- BE was not intended to be upgraded by any mean. This was meant to be just

as a fresh install (at least at the moment). That's why there are no upgrade

documents on CCO. I researched more on this, and actually found out that

currently it is not supported to do an upgrade of a BE box.

Please refer to the following:

"The Cisco Unified Communications Manager Business Edition offering is for

new installations only. There is no migration to or from the Cisco Unified

Communications Manager Business Edition"

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6788/vcallcon/p

s7273/product_data_sheet0900aecd805e6985.html

- Even though there is no official upgrade for the BE boxes, I tried it on

my lab. The CUC was upgraded as well, and the latest version available is

2.1.0.9901-362, which is the one your CUC is reporting as well.

My server is currently working fine, I was able to do some successful tests,

do switch partitions and had no problems. But again, this is still NOT

supported.

Having said the above, let me know how do you want to proceed with this

service request.

I would get this response from the TAC engineer checked out via your Cisco Account Manager.

My understanding of what this phrase is trying to say is that you can't convert a platform running CCM to CCM-BE and vice versa.

"The Cisco Unified Communications Manager Business Edition offering is for

new installations only. There is no migration to or from the Cisco Unified

Communications Manager Business Edition"

I hope that is the case -- I can't imagine that Cisco would not allow CUCM-BE customers to upgrade to fix bugs, etc.

I am going to contact TAC, however, to make sure.

TAC finally came up with some answers. Yes you can upgrade using the same files for CUCM and CUCM BE, but they insist there is no Unity Connection upgrade to 2.1.1, and ony 2.1.0 is the latest version available. That is unfortunate since all the release notes and install guides reference version 2.1.1 (which does not exist - or does it?)...

Our CAM is only able to help up push these matters up the chain. I have tried every route to escalate the case, but to no avail. This is not the first time I have had these issues with TAC. The PDI helpdesk is no merit to our business either...

The best answers come from the Aussies. They are always able to get the answers I need. Unfortunately, I am in the US EST time zone.