CCIE R/S or CCDE First

Unanswered Question
Jan 29th, 2008

Hi everyone

Now Cisco had come out with the CCDE exam which focus on design and CCIE is more on troubleshooting.

So which one first one first? CCIE or CCDE?

Any feedback is welcomed .:)

Overall Rating: 3.5 (2 ratings)
Jon Marshall Wed, 01/30/2008 - 00:57

Hi

I am thinking of doing CCIE and my day job is as a network architect but i would still look to do R&S first, simply because R&S is the base knowledge for everything else. A lot of the CCDE will require knowledge of R&S anyway so i think it's important to get those right.

Just my thoughts

Jon

Danilo Dy Wed, 01/30/2008 - 05:08

Hi,

If your line of job is in pre-sales you should take CCDE. If your line of job is support, you should take CCIE.

At last there is CCDE for pre-sales, I find CCIE a mismatch to this line of job.

I think CCDE other focus are knowing the feature/capability and limitation of Cisco products with some hands-on (that's where the LAB exam will test the candidate) to be able to POC the product and its feature in front of customer. While CCIE focus is more on support and troubleshooting, not all CCIE are aware of feature/capability and limitation of Cisco products unless they are posted to pre-sales line of job. Be careful though, there are CCIE for every track (5 of them) while CCDE will virtually cover all of them.

Regards,

Dandy

Edison Ortiz Wed, 01/30/2008 - 07:41

CCIE R&S will give you an excellent foundation for a CCDE.

Taking the CCDE without knowing all aspects of networking at an expert level, can be quite difficult.

The CCIE R&S will push you to learn all major technologies and provides a great foundation.

I'm not saying the CCIE R&S is easier than the CCDE but the R&S /at this moment/ provides more hands-on, and we all know we learn faster by working on devices :)

HTH,

__

Edison.

Actions

This Discussion