Views
Helpful
Replies

network.pl fail on selftest

benjo.rulloda
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Problem on my Ciscoworks LMS 2.6 is that I cannot discover devices. SNMP settings and discovery settings are already configured correctly. When I did the selftest I noticed that the network.pl has failed. It says "Default servers are not available. FAIL nslookup failed." How can I resolve this issue?

6 Replies 6

miheg
Level 5
Level 5

How do you know you discovery settings are correct if you can't discover?

So lets assume snmp is OK. How about CDP and your seed devices?

Cheers,

Michel

Hi Michel,

SNMP string defined in Ciscoworks is ok. CDP is also enabled for all devices and seed device configured was the core switch. I have already ping all devices on the command prompt and they all responded. I noticed that the Local Area Connection icon on the lower right of the screen is not blinking to indicate device discovery activity. That's why I tried to conduct a selftest on Ciscoworks and came upon with a result that network.pl failed.

Any thoughts on what seems to be wrong?

Regards,

Benjo

yjdabear
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

"Default servers are not available." is an error from the nslookup commmand, meaning your specified default DNS servers were not reachable from your CiscoWorks server. Can you nslookup on the command line (Windows or Solaris), outside CiscoWorks?

I did not define any DNS servers on Ciscoworks, just statically assign IP address on it. The setup is purely LAN and no internet connection on it. any more suggestions?

Not in CiscoWorks, but on the host OS when you (or someone else) built this CiscoWorks server. The question still remains: Can you nslookup on the server's command line (Windows or Solaris)?

Edit: Another possibility is:

"This is due to Nslookup being unable to perform a reverse lookup on the IP address of the DNS server. When NSLookup starts, it attempts do a reverse lookup of the IP address of the DNS server. If this fails, NSlookup gives the message noted above, which is somewhat misleading. The solution is to either install a reverse lookup zone for your workstations or to ignore the message."

akemp
Level 5
Level 5

Uncheck the "resolve by name" and "use reverse dns lookup" in your discovery options.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: