cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

problems upgrading flash on 3640 (16 to 32MB)?

srue
Level 7
Level 7

I have a client who needs to upgrade their flash on a 3640 from 16-32mb in size. Will this at all affect the IOS that's currently installed in flash? ie, will it still boot up into the existing

IOS?

currently there's a single 16mb flash stick, and they plan on adding a second 16mb simm flash.

TIA

4 Replies 4

Hi,

Look at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/3600/hardware/notes/PCMCIA.html

I hope this helps.

Best regards.

Massimiliano.

Thanks, but that's pcmcia flash. I'm trying to see about on board flash simms.

cpubob
Level 1
Level 1

AFAIK, or remember, you can add the second chip without affecting the bootup of the box, but, I would highly recommend at least setting up an alternate boot source in case something bad happens and you loose your internal ios. This can be external flash or even a tftp server and the appropriate boot statement to allow a secondary boot via tftp. At least this will guarantee you won't be left in the dark after the upgrade. You will of course have to reformat your internal flash after you boot so you will loose your ios then but as long as you don't power down, you should be ok.

I would recommend the tftp boot method if you do not have pcmcia flash available.

boot system flash c3600-image

boot sys tftp c3600-image 10.x.x.x

Try the flash, and if that fails, load the helper image and try the tftp.

GL

-Bob

great, thanks for the advice...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco