cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Removal of WS-X6582-PA or PA-2CT3+

tiki_turtle
Level 1
Level 1

Can I remove these modules from my 7600 router while the router is still powered up?

7 Replies 7

Rick Morris
Level 6
Level 6

Most cards are hot swappable. I am 99.999% sure that you are fine with removing these cards with the power on.

The design of this router is for availability. It would not make much sense to have slots that you can insert and remove cards and have to power down every time. The 7200 series is almost all hot-swappable.

Not sure how much help that was, but I would remove it with the power on and feel ok with doing it.

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hold your horses!

PA in 7600 can't be plug/unplug while the router is power up and running. You need to remove the FlexWAN first before you can plug/unplug the PA.

You can only plug/unplug the PA while the router is power up and running for Cisco 7200 VXR routers, Cisco 7201 router, Cisco 7301 router, or Cisco 7401ASR router. http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps2033/products_installation_and_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080328060.html#wp1048043

Regards,

Dandy

Thanks for the clarification, however the link you sent does not specify anything about the power up or down for the installation or removal of this card. Am I missing something or did I not read enough?

On top "Online Insertion and Removal" http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps2033/products_installation_and_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080328060.html#wp1039320

I just remembered because I check it first before I remove DS3 PA for my 7500 3 years ago.

Regards,

Dandy

Here is the part I was just reading.

OIR allows you to install and replace port adapters or service adapters (carrier cards, VIPs and FlexWAN modules) while the router is operating; you do not need to notify the software or shut down the system power, although you should not run traffic through the port adapter you are removing while it is being removed. OIR is a method that is seamless to end users on the network, maintains all routing information, and preserves sessions.

first sentance states that you do not need to shut it down.

I agree it is a good idea to do so anytime, but not necessary according to this doc.

However, I am not very familiar with the 7600 so I am also seeking knowledge in this area.

Thanks for your help guys - I couldn't find anything definitive for the 7600 that's why I asked - the OIR document doesn't really spell it out too clearly..

Found this:

"It is wise to gracefully shut down the system before removing a port adapter or module that has active traffic moving through it. Removing a port adapter or module while traffic is flowing through the ports can cause system disruption. Once the port adapter or module is inserted, the ports can be brought back up. "

This is in the Online Insertion and Removal section.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card