Views
Helpful
Replies

QoS question

anitachoi3
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I would like to enable the QoS on the router. Do I config both routers (send and receive)

e.g.

one IPLC between HK and TW. the routers are HKR1, TWR1

do we config QoS on both routers HKR1 and TWR1?

rdgs

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If you only configure the outgoing on one side, you'll only have QoS coming out of that site. The reason for configuring outbound on both sites is to have QoS conformity for your entire enterprise to the highest extent possible.

Let's say you only configure QoS on HKR1, and not TWR1. The packets coming out of HKR1 to TWR1 would be properly queued, classified, and QoS'd, and data/voice/video would be smooth coming out of HKR1 when it's headed outbound.

However, anything coming out of TWR1 would be FIFO queued, and your voice/video/data could be choppy for HKR1 to receive.

Without proper configuration on both sides, while QoS isn't totally useless, you won't see the best benefits from it.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

a.cruea1980
Level 3
Level 3

You can really only QoS outgoing packets (minus a few exceptions).

So, you'd configure both routers for QoS on send only.

Wilson Samuel
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Anita,

Yes, to achieve effective QoS it has to be uniform across the enterprise. The way you classify and mark a packet needs to be in uniformity across the network or else there is little or no achievement for using QoS

Regards,

Wilson Samuel

Hi,

If I config one side, the QoS should not work. is it correct?

rgds

If you only configure the outgoing on one side, you'll only have QoS coming out of that site. The reason for configuring outbound on both sites is to have QoS conformity for your entire enterprise to the highest extent possible.

Let's say you only configure QoS on HKR1, and not TWR1. The packets coming out of HKR1 to TWR1 would be properly queued, classified, and QoS'd, and data/voice/video would be smooth coming out of HKR1 when it's headed outbound.

However, anything coming out of TWR1 would be FIFO queued, and your voice/video/data could be choppy for HKR1 to receive.

Without proper configuration on both sides, while QoS isn't totally useless, you won't see the best benefits from it.

Also keep in mind that traffic flows are not always symmetrical. So, the best QoS configuration might not be symmetrical either. I.e. The outbound QoS configurations on HKR1 and TWR1 could be validly different.

If your link is not physically point-to-point of the same bandwidth, QoS technique sometimes can also be used to assist.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card