Here's a description of a problem I'm trying to work through:
- Currently, we have a point-to-point T1 connecting a branch office back to the main office.
- This T1 is currently terminated on both ends by an Adtran TA-600R Gen 3.
- Channels 1-16 carry data, 17-24, voice
- The voice channels are listed in the Adtran's "DS0 Maps" as being connected to "DSX-1", which is an outgoing port to a PBX. On the outgoing side, they're still on channels 17-24.
- Although there's no way to see/set this in the Adtran, I know these ports to be E&M, Wink-Start signaling. (Phone guy confirmed this, and added that they use channel 24 for data)
- PTP Data T1 encapsulation is PPP.
WHAT I WANT TO DO:
- I have two Cisco 2811 units with VWICs I want to replace the Adtrans with.
WHAT WORKS, WHAT DOESN'T:
I was lead to believe that I could accomplish this functionality with "Drop and Insert". Here's how I tried it:
- I connected the incoming T1 to T1 0/0/0 on the 2811 (Remember, an Adtran is still on the other end at the remote office)
- I configured a channel group, with timeslots 1-16
- I configured a tdm group, with timeslots 17-24, type e&m
- I configured a tdm group with timeslots 17-24, type e&m, on T1 0/0/1
- I connected T1 0/0/1 to the PBX
- I did the D&I on the two tdm groups
- I set the serial port created by the channel-group command to encapsulation ppp, set up ip & routing, and the data portion worked great.
- The D&I only showed status "ADMIN UP" and didn't work.
WHAT I'M GUESSING THE PROBLEM IS:
- I need to "pass-through" a "raw" DS0.
- I could remove the tdm group, and create ds0-groups on those channels, of type e&m-wink
- There appears to be no way to do a D&I on a ds0-group. - and therein lies the problem, as far as I can tell!
So, what I'm asking is:
Can D&I do this?
If not, how would I accomplish this? Is there an external CSU/DSU that can do this? The end result of this is that I need to use PPP MultiLink on a pair of T1s for data, channels 1-16 of the first and all of the second T1.
Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I think it might be your cable -
T1 0/0/1 is down.
Applique type is Channelized T1
Cablelength is long gain36 0db
Transmitter is sending remote alarm.
Receiver has loss of signal. <-------- means there is no physical connection !
Try a t1 cross over cable from this port to the PBX. Pinouts are like this -
1 ---- 4
2 ---- 5
4 ---- 1
5 ---- 2
If this does pass 'data' on the timeslot (which corresponds to the D channel) then it sounds like PRI, so you should take off the E&M keyword on the TDM group commands.