Views
Helpful
Replies

Native vlan 802.1q and ISL ?

philipbarker
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a 802.1q trunk and an ISL trunk conigured between two switches.

When I 'sh int trunk' the output shows the native vlan as 1 for both 802.1q AND ISL ?

Does 'native vlan' have any meaning within ISL ? I don't think it does but just need to confirm.

I think I have verified this in the following way:

I changed the native vlan on one end of each trunk (the 802.1q and ISL) respectfully and CDP only complains about NATIVE_VLAN_MISMATCH for the 802.1q trunk.

Regards,

Phil.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Phil

Yes you are correct. ISL tags all frames and does not have a concept of a native vlan as such where the native vlan sends packets that do not have a vlan tag.

The native vlan in 802.1q was designed to allow compatability with older switches that did not support tagged frames.

HTH

Jon

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Phil

Yes you are correct. ISL tags all frames and does not have a concept of a native vlan as such where the native vlan sends packets that do not have a vlan tag.

The native vlan in 802.1q was designed to allow compatability with older switches that did not support tagged frames.

HTH

Jon

minor correction...ISL doesn't tag, it encapsulates. dot1q tags.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/741_4.html

that was mainly for the benefit of the OP..

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card