Views
Helpful
Replies

871 Images

IM-Design
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

I have an 871 router with the Advanced Security image. I would like to use VLANs with Multiple Wireless SSIDs and varying security/QOS on each of these VLANS. My questions are:

-Is all of this possible with the 871W?

-My current image is: C870 Software (C870-ADVSECURITYK9-M), Version 12.4(4)T7. If I am going to move to the Advanced IP Services image, which one should I move to accomplish these configuration items?

-I have read in these forums that it is possible to do the upgrade without a flash upgrade by deleting the sdm file and running sdm from a connected pc. Could someone please confirm?

TIA

Charlie

3 Replies 3

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

No, the image that you have don't support vlan. To access the "advanced ip services" image tat does, you need to purchase a support contract (akak smartnet) for right to the download area, and the upgrade license.

Hi,

Yes I have a smartn et contract for the 871 and I am looking at the images avaiilable online.

So, I know that I need to have the Advanced IP Services image, my next question is which one should I upgrade to? (Most stable, fewest issues elsewhere, etc.).

Last question still stands. Can I simply remove the sdm.tar from the flash to free up enough memory to use this image without a 4mb memory upgrade (24 ->28 MB)? I am happy to use SDM from a local pc if I need to. I will retaine the wlanui.tar so that I can access the wireless configuration pages.

TIA

Charlie

Hi, would reccomend 12.4(6)T10 that has got 10 maintenances and supposed to be stable.

The image is less than 16 MB in size and feel free to delete anything you don't need also considering that in professional's opinion, the only good SDM is a deleted one.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card