cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is "permit tcp any any established" assumed on ASA/PIX?

thomasdzubin
Level 1
Level 1

When configuring IOS-based routers, I've been normally putting in an incoming access-list on the WAN port: "access-list whatever permit tcp any any established"

I noticed that I don't have to have to do that on the ASA/PIX... am I missing something or is the "established" connection assumed by default on a firewall appliance?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The ASA tracks the state of connections whereas a router does not (unless you're using CBAC). The established keyword is like making the connection stateful, although not in a very elegant manner.

HTH

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The ASA tracks the state of connections whereas a router does not (unless you're using CBAC). The established keyword is like making the connection stateful, although not in a very elegant manner.

HTH

the established keyword allows *all* tcp packets in with the special bits set, syn/fin/rst, regardless of whether or not they are packets that are part of an existing conversation.

If you are using an IOS device, you need to use either CBAC or reflexive acl's to get true (or semi-true) stateful properties, that you automatically get with a firewall device.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card