I received a complaint that a user is not recieving calls to his extension and the voicemail light was not turning on. I have tried these solutions but ended up in a worse situation than I started. I was able to dial the extension but now I ust get a fast busy. The extension was recently programmed on a new phone in a diff. location.Here are the steps i took.
1.Noticed the extension was in a different partition on one of the phones so made it the same as the other one. Result=Fast Busy
2.Checked route plan and the extension was ther 2x so I deleted the unassigned one. No result.
3.Made the partition for the extension different again on the second phone.No result.
4.Deleted second phone.No result
5. Deleted and added original again. No result.the phone is alive and the user can make calls from it. I cannot dialthe extension internall or externally. the last time something like this happened we had to reboot the call manager. i am running version 4.1.(3)sr5b