cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

help with tagging

mpozorski
Level 1
Level 1

We are getting ready to deploy a few new vmware servers and we need to get vlan tagging configured as the servers don't have enough NIC cards. I just need to see if I can get somebody to verify that I have the switchport configured correctly for tagging. Here is how the port is configured;

interface GigabitEthernet0/6

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport mode trunk

switchport access vlan 2, 3, 4, 6

IF anybody can please take a look and let me know i would appreciate it. Thanks

2 Replies 2

cpubob
Level 1
Level 1

The switchport access command is only used when the port is set in access mode, yours is set to trunk mode, and it defines what vlan traffic goes. AFAIK, you cannot configure more then 1 access vlan, because the switch would have no way to direct the traffic to the correct vlan. But this is really not relavent because you are creating a trunk port, so drop the "switchport access' command, its not doing anything. If you want to ONLY allow vlans 2,3,4,6 on the trunk, then use the command:

switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,2,3,4,6,1002-1005

HTH,

-Rob

Thank you for the pointer Rob. When I was reading different configuration guides about setting up the tagging I think I might have gotten confused. We are supposed to implement the server this afternoon (waiting on some software) so hopefully I will be able to test and make sure that it is working as it should. Thanks again for the advice.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card