cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Back to basics. IP Route

mark.parry
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 1721 With a 100 BaseT ( Fastethernet0(192.168.0.254)) and a 10 baseT (WIC1ENET Ethernet 0(192.168.1.254)). I am trying to get the router to route traffic from 1 port to the other. I have a ADSL Router (192.168.0.1) the other side of the 1721, I just want it to route internet traffic to me and vice-versa. I have add ed the route, removed it tried adding a default route. I suspect it may be a command that I have missed. I have made sure the Ehternet I/f's are up and addes ip routing.

Any suggestions.

6 Replies 6

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"internet traffic"... hmm.. I don't see any mention of NAT anywhere. If you are hoping for the ADSL router to translate a subnet other than 192.168.0.0/24, you may be in for a treat.

Most /if not all/ SOHO devices only allow you to NAT their current internal subnet.

You can test if routing is indeed working by pinging from the 1721 to the ADSL router by sourcing from the 192.168.1.254 interface or just place a device on that subnet and ping the 192.168.0.1 - that's as far is going to go without NAT'ng. Ah, you will also need a route from the ADSL router to the 192.168.1.0/24 network via 192.168.0.254 interface.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Thanks for the quick reply.

The ADSL router is "Nating". I started with a p.c. and the ADSL router, got an internet connection, great. Introduced the 1721 inbetween the two, changed the gateway IP address of the P.C. and added the route. I am going to try the pings you have suggested.

Again thanks for the quick reply.

Mark

Mark,

Your ADSL router won't NAT multiple subnets.

OK, Thanks for your help.

Time to get the books out again.

Mark

imran.khan-1969
Level 1
Level 1

Mark,

Why not configure the ADSL router to bridge rarther than route, set up a dialer function on the Cisco router to do your PPOE/PPOA authentication and do all the functions you need on the cisco device ie NAT, routing etc etc.

Regards

Imran Khan

mark.parry
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Imran,

In the end thats what I did. Went out and got a WIC1-adsl. Popped it in and hey presto, configured the dialing, routing etc and alls well.

Thanks.

Mark

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card