cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BVI interfaces on UC520

tato386
Level 6
Level 6

While inspecting the config of our UC520 I see it makes extensive use of BVI interfaces and bridge-groups. I see that the 802.11 radio and VLAN1 interfaces are part of a bridge-group 1 with a BVI interface setup for them and that my Voice VLAN also has a bridge-group and BVI associated with it. What is the purpose of the bridge-group and BVI interfaces? Can the setup work with just "normal" interfaces and VLANs? What would happen if I rip out all the bridge stuff?

Rgds,

Diego

3 Replies 3

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The radio interface does not support routing. So you must use it in bridging with a BVI, else it won't work.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

That explains the radio but why setup a BVI for the ethernet also? Won't a VLANx interface be enough for that?

Thanks,

Diego

VLAN interfaces controls the switched ports like the UC-520 and other models have. So if you want your wireless devices to be in the same subnet of ethernet, you bridge them together under a common subnet defined via BVI.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: