cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Acii Alerting name

miket
Level 5
Level 5

I am trying to find out in callmanager 5 or 6 what the ascii alerting name is used for? When you add a line it fills the ascii alerting name as well as the ascii display name. My understnading was all it is used for is ISDN trunks or trunks. I cannot find much info on this.. They are usually always set the same.

4 Replies 4

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Mike,

I can't explain it better than this;

Alerting Name

Enter a name that you want to display on the phone of the caller.

This setting, which supports the Identification Services for the QSIG protocol, applies to shared and nonshared directory numbers. If you configure an alerting name for a directory number with shared-line appearances, when the phone rings at the terminating PINX, the system performs the following tasks:

•Forwards the name of the caller that is assigned to the directory number.

•Applies the Connected Name Restrictions (CONR) that are configured for the translation pattern (if restrictions exist); the originating PINX may modify the CONR, depending on the route pattern configuration.

If you do not configure an alerting name, "Name Not Available" may display on the caller phone. If you do not enter a name for the Display (Internal Caller ID) field, the information in the Alerting Name field displays in the Display (Internal Caller ID) field.

ASCII Alerting Name

This field provides the same information as the Alerting Name field, but you must limit input to ASCII characters. Devices that do not support Unicode (internationalized) characters display the content of the Alerting Name ASCII field.

From this good doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/5_0_1/ccmcfg/b03dn.html

Hope this helps!

Rob

Rob, Thanks,, why would you make the fields different? And when is one fieldused vs the other.

ASCII is older and has a limited character set, Unicode is newer and allows more characters (eg foreign languages). Newer phones will be able to disable Unicode, however if the phone can't display Unicode then the ASCII will display.

Do a wikipedia on Unicode.

Since I don't use the extra characters in Unicode I keep the two fields the same.

Thanks, I was trying to see when it uses one vs the other..Also apparently cm 6 you can use them for internal vs external names.

I was really hoping to find out what and wehn cm uses the different fields

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: