Views
Helpful
Replies

Application disconnect on asymmetric traffic flow

vvijayaram
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a problem with asymmetric routing (traffic flow) that doesn't allow me to load-balance between 2 or more links, as most of TCP application disconnects.

Kindly note the asymmetric path starts at the router right near the source (client).

I have a single router connected to two separate satellite modems to the same destination.

SM1

\

<switch>-Router-Client

/

SM2

Router to switch is trunk. Satellite modems (SM1 & SM2) are vlan connections (different vlans).

I am using subinterface in my router to define separte vlans (dot1q encapsulation).

Problem is when client to server (at remote end) is using SM1 and return traffic lands in SM2, application doesn't connect or it disconnects. When I shut SM2 connection, all seem to work fine.

If any of you faced such problem and know how to use 2 links, kindly share. I saw in one of the posts, they used "ip verify unicast reverse-path", but it will not allow traffic to use other path, it is a virtual shut.

Thanks, VJ

1 Reply 1

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It would be helpful if you could post the config for both near and far side routers and describe the far side topology.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card