cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity 5 & Unified Messaging query

UCBNOCWAN
Level 1
Level 1

Can we put Unity 5 & Unified Messaging on the same server?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes, this sounds feasible. Take a look at the following link regarding several methods to convert to UM. This document was written for 3.1, but the concepts apply to 4.x/5.x as well.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_white_paper09186a00808f28d6.shtml

Hope this helps.

Brandon

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

In a unified messaging environment, the message store cannot be on the same server as Unity. See the following link.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/5x/requirements/50cusysreq.html#wp472166

Hope this helps. If so, please rate the post.

Brandon

Hi Brandon,

I have never worked with Unified Messaging before & hence a lot of confusion on this front. Just want to make this simple:

My understanding is :

I can go for Unity 5 with Voice Mail only config & no Unified Messaging feature, then I have to put the message store on a separate box unless it's Exchange 2000.

Or I can go for Unified Messaging & there in all scenarios the message store is separate.

So, to implement a Unified Messaging setup, a minimum of 2 servers are needed, unlike a pure Unity Voice Mail only config where you can have Unity, Exchange, SQL all on the same box.

Have a nice day & appreciate your help.

Thanks & Regards,

Abhijit Das.

With voicemail only, you can use Exchange 2003 on or off box. Exchange 2000 is only supported for upgrades from 4.x, not for new installations. With unified messaging, you can use Exchange 2000, 2003 or 2007, but it must be on a seperate server.

Yes, unified messaging requires a minimum of 2 servers. Voicemail only can be implemented with one server. Keep in mind that when using one server for all functions, you have no redundancy for Active Directory, Exchange, etc. This is certainly a workable solution, just something to be aware of.

Hope this helps.

Brandon

Our current setup is a very peculiar one with Unity 4.0(3), Exchange 5.5, SQL all on one box but the AD is integrated with domain, Exchange is separate. With Unified Messaging I guess we have to upgrade & integrate Exchange with the domain Exchange ( which is 2003) I guess. So we can have the Unity 5.0 & Unified Messaging on one box while the message store should be the domain Exchange mailbox store. No doubt Exchange 5.5 must go. Is this tentative action plan feasible?

Thanks again,

Abhijit Das.

Yes, this sounds feasible. Take a look at the following link regarding several methods to convert to UM. This document was written for 3.1, but the concepts apply to 4.x/5.x as well.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_white_paper09186a00808f28d6.shtml

Hope this helps.

Brandon

Brandon,

Thanks a lot for your help. Greatly appreciate it. Have a nice weekend.

Thanks & Regards,

Abhijit Das.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: