Views
Helpful
Replies

pix os 6.3 configuration backup and restoration

sivakondalarao
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Please let me know the procedure to restore configuration using pix os 6.3, I am able to take backup using configure net command. But restoration not successful. Configuration is stored in my tftp root directory.

Regards

skrao

7 Replies 7

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can open the config file with any text editor and copy-n-paste each line into the new pix.

HTH

That is NOT correct. You have to be careful about pasting the configuration back in.

Simple copy and past will NOT work, especially

when you have VPN in the configuration. This

is especially difficult when you have

certificate-based VPN.

CCIE Security

Hi,

I have faced problem with copy/paste. I am trying to learn the proper method.

regards

skrao

The correct way to is to configure the device again. Perhaps a training class or self study with a book will help.

I've never had a problem with it. Granted you need to remember to generate keys and such, but 99% of the config can be c-n-p.

Hi,

why we don't have restoration facility like we have in routers"copy tftp flash:".

regards

sivakondala rao

Hi Sivakondala, the proper method is knowing both. I would have to agree with David and Collin up to certain extend depending on the size of the configuration of the firewalls and how complex the configuration is you should aquaint your self in undertanding firewall configuration format statements, I have used copy and paste many times without issues but if you are new to firewalls it is best to use the PIX backup and restore process which is very simple, not quite as the copy tftp flash you would expect like in routers or ios based switches, but you will be able to use this copy flash tftp with the new ASA firewalls, in fact you can use the copy tftp flash and vice versa in ASA's and be able to backup your ASA firewall code something that is not possible in PIX 6.x or earlier codes.

Going back to your original concern you should be able to back up your PIX config and restore %100 the configuration as easy as it gets, but as other recommended it is good to understand the config systax so that you can copy and paste basic configuration witout having to rely on ASDM.

e.g

assume tftp server is 10.2.2.2

to backup

pix#write net 10.2.2.2:pixcfg_bkp

to restore

pix(config)#configure net 10.2.2.2:pixcfg_bkp

here is a very good link explaining back up and restore configs.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_tech_note09186a008072142a.shtml

Rgds

Jorge

Jorge Rodriguez
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card