Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS upgrade

omar.elmohri
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have LMS 2.5. And I get the version 3.0 with an upgrade license.

Do I uninstall the 2.5 version ? or install it on the same directory ? and do I need the two license files (2.5 and the 3.0 upgrade? )

Regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Without seeing the whole log, or the file system layout, I would say that the backup directory was specified incorrectly, or that it was truly empty. Also, I suppose something could have happened to the backup during the first failed installation which resulted in some corruption leading the subsequent installation to think the directory did not contain a valid backup.

Your idea of doing a clean installation at this point is a good one.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can perform an upgrade installation with 3.0. Since LMS 3.0 is a new product, you will no longer need the 2.x license.

Hello, and thank you,

This about license, and how about installation? do I have to install 2.5 and then 3.0? and using the 3.0 license or only the 3.0 version in a clear OS?

Only if you want to attempt to migrate data such as UDGs (user defined groups), configuration archives, etc.

It has been my personal experience with a semi-large installation (5,000+ devices) you are better off with a clean install rather than upgrading if possible and acceptable to your customers.

LMS 3.0 is a new release product which does not require you to have a previous version installed. Pop in the DVD and run setup :)

LMS 3.0 is a new product. You can pretend you never owned 2.x, and install 3.0 from scratch on a clean server. OR, you can perform a local upgrade, and have your data migrated inline. OR, you can install LMS 3.0 on a clean server, then migrate your LMS 2.x data from a backup.

The last option is preferred. Inline upgrades can get messy. If possible, install LMS 3.0 on a clean server, then perform data migration.

I'll try to see what possibilities have our custumer.

May be I'll try to make upgrade on the 2.5

Hello,

I did the upgrade on the same server.

It asks me a backup folder, I mentioned it. But during installation I get a problem (I think it due swap memory) and I wanna run the installation another time. This one it cannot find anything on the backup folder. On the Log file in metionned that the Backup is empty.

What can the cause of the problem?

For me, I just uninstalled the whole and reinstall as a clean server.

Without seeing the whole log, or the file system layout, I would say that the backup directory was specified incorrectly, or that it was truly empty. Also, I suppose something could have happened to the backup during the first failed installation which resulted in some corruption leading the subsequent installation to think the directory did not contain a valid backup.

Your idea of doing a clean installation at this point is a good one.

Thank you

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: