cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WDS AND WLSE

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi all , one we have set up the wds, what would happen if my wlse device broke? would this take down my wds service ?

9 Replies 9

dmantill
Level 4
Level 4

No, WLSE is just a monitoring device in the WDS topology.

(in addition to see changes, and edit configs)

If your wlse goes down, WDS will be UP.

Wireless network will be UP too.

dmantill@cisco.com

As far as I know, the ap's have to register themselves with the wds, ap but they cannot do this until the wd sap authenticates against a radius server, in this case its our wlse.

Can you please tell me what I need to configure to achieve WDS on my access points, and what role my wlse is playing in this case ?

Many thanks for your help

hi there

we are using our wlse as radius server for the wds, what would happen if we lost wlse then ?

If WLSE is going to be the Radius server, and if WLSE goes down the authentication therefore WDS will go down.

Try using another AP or a 2nd radius server for failover.

AP has the "Local radius server" option.

Hi Diego,

Nice answers here. It's nice to see that someone still has knowledge about the WLSE. +5 points

Cheers!

Rob

Hi There

I have seen that when the wlse is switched off, the wds still works on our site, how come this is then ?

Hi There

I have seen that when the wlse is switched off, the wds still works on our site, how come this is then ?

Hi There

Sorry I forgot to answer this.

As I mentioned, WLSE is just monitoring.

Only If WLSE is being used as Radius server, then the NEW authentications might fail.

"Might", because remember that WDS will try to cache the credentials, for example, for roaming.

But sometimes it cache it for a long time. And additionally the current authenticated users will still be associated and authenticated. So only if a  new user trys to associate and authenticate, you will notice that the authentication is not working.

Now, the other possibility is that you are using a backup WDS and or backup radius server. So everything will keep working as expected.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card