cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1721 IOS firewall throughput?

pnicolette
Level 1
Level 1

How many pps or Mbps cleartext would you expect from a 1721 between the built-in 10/100 port and a 10/100 port on the four-port switch module, using IOS firewall? I've seen numbers for encryption (the unit has VPN bundle), but have no idea how the unencrypted IOS firewall throughput would compare to, say, a 506E.

Any thoughts or links will be much appreciated.

Paul

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ok, here it goes now.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Here's attached the frequently posted performance sheet.

For FW enabled, subtract a very cautious 30%.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Ok, here it goes now.

Very helpful, thanks. Just 3 more questions ;-) ...

- do you happen to know whether IOS firewall is process switched on a smaller router?

- should the CEF numbers be seen as a best-case sum for all flows through a router with multiple interfaces, ie fe1<->fe2 PLUS fe3<->fe4?

- why do some models have no listing for process-switched throughput? (hope it's not embarrassment protection!)

Thanks again.

Hi, first of all one has to define which FW flavour is used. There is the old one, then evolution of it, now we have zone-based FW..

Anyway the tendency is to have cef switching as long possible. This is also why you see less and less process-switching performance numbers.

Multiple interface routing vs single pair usually subtracts little from the overall.

Thanks for the nice rating and good luck!

So for a sanity check...

If a 1721 maxes at 12k pps, assuming an avg packet size of 1000 bytes, then w/8bits/byte it's 96Mbps. So on a full duplex 100Mbps link with the conservative 30% fw derating, and equal traffic in both directions (won't happen!) I might get up to 33Mbps throughput in each direction?

BTW, FWIW, I found a slightly newer version product sheet at http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf

...once I knew what to search for.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco