Basic Console Connection Question

Answered Question
Jan 31st, 2008
User Badges:

Since some laptop manufacturers are opting not to include a serial com port in their product, I'm wondering if there is an adapter that will allow a connetion from any of the other more popular port types (USB, Firewire, or even from a ethernet port, etc) to the console port for initial configuration?

If not, what happens when serial com ports no longer exist??

Correct Answer by Jon Marshall about 9 years 5 months ago

Hi

One other thing to note is that with the USB to serial cables i have come across you cannot send a break which you need to be able to do for password recovery.

My current work laptop has no serial port but i have still kept one of my older work laptops and this is the one i always take if i am doing work on site.

Jon

Overall Rating: 4 (1 ratings)
Correct Answer
Jon Marshall Thu, 01/31/2008 - 15:57
User Badges:
  • Super Blue, 32500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, WAN

Hi

One other thing to note is that with the USB to serial cables i have come across you cannot send a break which you need to be able to do for password recovery.

My current work laptop has no serial port but i have still kept one of my older work laptops and this is the one i always take if i am doing work on site.

Jon

guruprasadr Thu, 01/31/2008 - 23:36
User Badges:
  • Gold, 750 points or more

HI,

In addition to Jon POST,

there are lot of other features that doesn't work with this convertor that i have experienced.

I normally use some Service Laptops to carry forward such work on-site.

Do RATE if HELPS

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

JoeMicro1 Tue, 02/05/2008 - 17:56
User Badges:

There are Pcmcia to Serial (DB9)cards out there with drivers. Works great. Break command works also

jamesawoodward Fri, 02/22/2008 - 15:59
User Badges:

I use a Radio Shack USB to Serial adapter. It works fine. Occasionally my laptop decides to assign it a different COM port, but that's visible through Device Manager. It does send Break commands as well.

Cheers.

Jim Woowdard

r.nockowitz Tue, 08/05/2008 - 03:26
User Badges:

What in the Brand/Model Number (or Radio Shack part number) of the USB-Serial adaptor supporting the Break sequence (Control-Break)?

Actions

This Discussion