cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Basic Console Connection Question

alandgetz
Level 1
Level 1

Since some laptop manufacturers are opting not to include a serial com port in their product, I'm wondering if there is an adapter that will allow a connetion from any of the other more popular port types (USB, Firewire, or even from a ethernet port, etc) to the console port for initial configuration?

If not, what happens when serial com ports no longer exist??

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

One other thing to note is that with the USB to serial cables i have come across you cannot send a break which you need to be able to do for password recovery.

My current work laptop has no serial port but i have still kept one of my older work laptops and this is the one i always take if i am doing work on site.

Jon

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

smitty6504
Level 1
Level 1

Yes they make USB to serial ports. Here is a link.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812156009

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

One other thing to note is that with the USB to serial cables i have come across you cannot send a break which you need to be able to do for password recovery.

My current work laptop has no serial port but i have still kept one of my older work laptops and this is the one i always take if i am doing work on site.

Jon

HI,

In addition to Jon POST,

there are lot of other features that doesn't work with this convertor that i have experienced.

I normally use some Service Laptops to carry forward such work on-site.

Do RATE if HELPS

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

JoeMicro1
Level 1
Level 1

There are Pcmcia to Serial (DB9)cards out there with drivers. Works great. Break command works also

jamesawoodward
Level 1
Level 1

I use a Radio Shack USB to Serial adapter. It works fine. Occasionally my laptop decides to assign it a different COM port, but that's visible through Device Manager. It does send Break commands as well.

Cheers.

Jim Woowdard

What in the Brand/Model Number (or Radio Shack part number) of the USB-Serial adaptor supporting the Break sequence (Control-Break)?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card