cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity 4.X to 5.X Upgrade - Getting PAKs from PUT

wrhale
Level 1
Level 1

When using the Product Upgrade Tool to obtain license PAKs to upgrade to Unity 5.X, do I need to enter all the individual licenses for all the separate features and user licenses that are currently on the system? After years of service, a lot of license PAKs have been added to the system for license, additional users, etc.

16 Replies 16

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You only need to "check out" the license that says 4.x to 5.x license pack. However, you will still need to obtain a new subscriber license from licening@cisco.com The PUT and PAK license for Unity only covers the Unity 5.x software, failover, ports. Does NOT include subscribers. (because it's an upgrade)

Simply PLAN WELL AHEAD! Licensing likes to take their time on making sure that this is your license, smartnet, blah blah.

Do the following:

Check out upgrade PAK numbers with the PUT. This will give you an ENTITLEMENT number and an email.

Cisco will SNAIL mail the PAK number card to your address.

With the email conformation from the upgrade, FORWARD this to licensing@cisco.com

Attach the OLD Unity License (.lic file all of them)

Explain in your email the following:

"we are upgrading to a new Unity server, new hardware from 4.x to 5.x

Old Unity server MAC xxxxxxxxxxxx

#Subscribers 300

#Ports 16

New Unity server 5.x

#Subscribers 300

#ports 32

MAC Address xxxxxxxxxx

We need to have the Subscriber license transferred to the new server and new mac address.

Our contract number is:

Our PO for the Unity 5.x order is:

Our Cisco Sales order number for 5.x is:

This will get the ball rolling for you. It's about the fastest way I have found this to work.

cheers!

tcatlinins -

So if we are doing an in place upgrade do we still need to request the subscriber licenses or are these imported during the upgrade process?

There is no mention of the 2nd part of your procedure in the upgrade and reconfiguration guide, so I just want to verify before I go forward.

Thanks!

Yeah, the guide is not always correct, especially when it comes to licensing. Licensing likes to change their procedure quite frequently.

The response I got from Cisco last week, was that if you are upgrading from 4.x to 5.x, you only check out (1) upgrade quantity per. So if you have "170" quantity in your upgrade, only check "1" and check out.

Since you are doing an inplace upgrade, the existing 4.x license will have the same MAC address and Subscriber information. The Upgrade PAK will entitle you to Unity 5.x software and Port count. (voicemail ports)

Hello,

I was curious if you could let me know how this worked out in regard to the licenses. I am currently preparing for an upgrade from Unity 4.2(1) to Unity 5.0(1) (both with failover). I have received the software and recieved the license file:Product Description: UNITY5-SL96-VUPK9 : Unity 5.X Version Upgrade from 4.X - 33 ports or more. When I contacted licensing@cisco.com in regard to failover and subcriber licenses, I received the following response "You need to install the 5.x version license files first and then 4.x version license file as this license file has included all the features." I'm just double-checking that this is how it went for your upgrade.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason -

Are you performing an in place upgrade or a server migration?

In an in-place upgrade situation it will carry-over your 4.x licenses and then you can apply the 5.x upgrade license.

During a server-migration, it will set you up with demo licensing and then you can send your old 4.x license to licensing@cisco.com with the new MAC address of the server and then your new 5.x upgrade licenses for the new MAC as well.

I don't really think it matters the order in which you apply the license files.

HTH,

mlitka

Hello mlitka,

Thanks for the quick reply!! In place upgrade, make sure everything is good then moving to the step of upgrading both servers to W2k3. Thank you for the info, I figured a license tech would know but it just sounded too good to be true. The last time I went through an upgrade we also changed hardware which I know required re-issued subscriber/feature licenses so that could be the cause of my concern.

Regards,

Jason

No problem. I did fail to mention in the server migration scenario you will need to send your old 4.x licenses to licensing@cisco to get them tied to your new MAC address. Then you can register your PAK with the new MAC and obtain the 5.x.

Since your doing an in-place upgrade you don't need to worry about that as the MAC address won't be changing.

Ginger Dillon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi -

I believe the Unity 5.X license does not replace your existing 4.X license files, but is an additional file that is added to allow the upgrade. I would provide the MAC address of your Unity server and then include as an attachment, the screenshot from the Unity - Licensing console that shows your summary or Effective licenses.

Ginger

Hello Unity upgrade experts! I was wondering if you could answer a question for me. I will be doing an in box upgrade of Unity UM w/ Exchange 4.04 to 5.x soon using the Rolling Upgrade process. My customer is asking me what if anything is lost during the migration. The doc does not mention anything being lost but I was wondering if anyone may have experience with this process. Thanks in advance!

Can you send a link to that doc? I never heard the term Rolling Uprade but I am sure it is one of them. We all have done many of these upgrades so I am sure that we can help.

Randy

Rolling upgrade means you have a failover in place. Failover to the secondary server, upgrade the primary server, failback, then upgrade the failover server.

I have done two this way and it was fine. but if you have to reload the OS, might as well start from scratch.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/white/paper/50curollupgrade.html

I see, then what are the requirments.

I mean yea if they have to do DiRT or installing new HW or other cause there are many ways to do this upgrade.

I think you have done the most Tommer, you gave me my ideas on what I should do for my upgrade hehehe.

I did the old GSM way cause I did SW and HW.

Randy

Hello, I followed the "rolling upgrade" process from 4.2.1 to 5.0.1 and all is well. I now have to get to the task of upgrading to W2k3. I will be using the same hardware. I have a question that I haven't found a clear answer on in existing posts: In the spirit of the "rolling upgrade" process, while I rebuild the primary server is there any reason why I can't have the Failover server still handling vm and auto attendant functions until the Primary rebuild is complete? Then simply shut down the Failover when I'm ready to re-integrate the Primay into production?

Thanks,

Jason

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: