Views
Helpful
Replies

Using HSRP with single E1

Farhan Jaffer
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Is there a way to use HSRP with 2 routers but single E1 from provider?

Thanks

4 Replies 4

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can configure HSRP, but in the unlikely event a router fails, you have to manually switch the circuit. Some people use Y cables for that, but I do not recommend doing so.

yes i too agree with bevil, if a router fails then u need to manually switch the circuit instead of dynamically happen which overrides the function of the HSRP

Senthil

Can an E1 interface be tracked with HSRP ?

The reason I ask is I came across a link for E1 protection (Failover) Switches.

www.valiantcom.com/aps/data_sheet/e1-protection-switch.pdf

It can take from 1 to 4 E1 lines from the telco and switch the E1's from active to standby equipment on the internal network.

It monitors the state of the E1 link between itself and active equipment, if for some reason the E1 link goes down (bad interface or router powers down) it switches the E1 link over to the standby equipment.

Now....

CME redundancy scenario

If HSRP ip address is configured under telephoney services on the cme systems, and the E1 interface on the primary cme went down or the router went down, The failover switch would switch the E1 to the secondary cme system... (E1 interface on secondary cme router configured with no shut)

If E1 interfaces can be tracked through HSRP then would this not work ?

You have however introduced a single point of failure ie the E1 failover switch, if that failed you would still have to manually take the E1 and connect it to the primary or secondary cme router.

Any thoughts paolo ?

Hi,

I don't suggest you use anything so complicated.

Cisco products have a low rate of failure, much better anyway than the circuits that are connected. Beside, they are expensive and wants to buy something that sits there doing nothing, hence is wasted.

Just get a support contract with a fast shipment for replacements. Or a smaller older router that can do CME for a lessere number of extensions maybe.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card