cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Convert pvst mode into rapid-pvst mode

rmv72
Level 1
Level 1

i've production network with Catalyst 3750G in core and dozens access layer switches Catalyst 3560. I'm going to convert pvst mode into rapid-pvst mode. Does it can broke my network or not?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

From Cisco doc on migrating to rapid-pvst from pvst.

=============================================

Rapid-PVST+ Migration

Rapid-PVST+ uses the same BPDU format as the 802.1D and it is backward compatible. It is difficult to convert all the switches in the enterprise network at the same time to rapid-PVST+. Because of the backward compatibility, you can convert phase by phase.

---> It is recommended to implement the changes in the scheduled maintenance window because the spanning tree reconfiguration disrupts the traffic flow. <---

Spanning Tree UplinkFast and BackboneFast features are PVST+ features. These are disabled when you enable rapid-PVST+ because those features are built within rapid-PVST+. Therefore, during the migration you can remove those commands. The configuration of the features such as PortFast, BPDUguard, BPDUfilter, root guard, and loopguard are applicable in rapid-PVST+ mode also

Full doc

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_configuration_example09186a00807b0670.shtml

I would always do this sort of work during a maintenance window if at all possible just to be on the safe side.

HTH

Jon

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

From Cisco doc on migrating to rapid-pvst from pvst.

Rapid-PVST+ Migration

Rapid-PVST+ uses the same BPDU format as the 802.1D and it is backward compatible. It is difficult to convert all the switches in the enterprise network at the same time to rapid-PVST+. Because of the backward compatibility, you can convert phase by phase.

---> It is recommended to implement the changes in the scheduled maintenance window because the spanning tree reconfiguration disrupts the traffic flow. <---

Spanning Tree UplinkFast and BackboneFast features are PVST+ features. These are disabled when you enable rapid-PVST+ because those features are built within rapid-PVST+. Therefore, during the migration you can remove those commands. The configuration of the features such as PortFast, BPDUguard, BPDUfilter, root guard, and loopguard are applicable in rapid-PVST+ mode also

Full doc

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_configuration_example09186a00807b0670.shtml

I would always do this sort of work during a maintenance window if at all possible just to be on the safe side.

HTH

Jon

I can confirm for a fact that when I did the same upgrade I have lost management to my switch for about 15sec, the all converged using RSTP.

so as per above post, service window is a safe way.

HTH

Sam

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: