Views
Helpful
Replies

routing issue from server

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi all, can anyone help me

I have got a hp server with teamed network cards, all is working fine, except for routing to one subnet, my routers here are using vrrp so the servers gateway is the vrrp address. when trying to route to a subnet 192.168.50.0 which is the dmz behind my firewall, the pings start to time out on the server, and then it somes up with general failure. BUT, as soon as I add a static route to one of the routers the pings are then fine.

I have taken the teaming off the nics and tried them individually but it still happens.

Hopefully someone might know what it could be

thanks

Carl

8 Replies 8

Rick Morris
Level 6
Level 6

If you tracert from the server where does it die at?

If you were to do a debug icmp trace on the router what do you see in the logs?

By adding the static you are specifically directing traffic, if no static is there how does your server know where to go? What type of routing are you doing? Verify your route in the server too by doing a route print just to make sure that your server does not have something else set-up pointing in a different location.

You have a network in a DMZ behind a firewall but is there anything that tells your network how to get to the DMZ?

the server just uses a default gateway just like any other server does. also the ping is fine most of the time, but then it times out and says general failure, then comes back on again. unfortunetley the network in question here uses nortel passports, we have a server configured as backup, it has the same config, but this has no issues at all. it is all static routing, the firewall is only 1 hop away from the passport routers.

hope you can help

Hi,

It seems that router is not having proper route to reach the DMZ subnet. You need to add it.

Rate if this helps...

*aijaz*

Hi

Both routers have a static route to that destination, any other ideas ?

thanks

Carl

I thought you removed the static routes, but when you added them it begins to work?

Can you paste your config?

It is too hard to shoot from the hip without seeing what we are shooting at?

Thanks

hi there

to avoid confusion

the routers have static routes to the firewall. the server itself has got a static route to one of the routers, If I take the route off and let it use the default gateway which is the vrrp address, this is when I get the loss of pings and general failure messages.

thanks

Hi Carl,

How are you !!

What is the static route that you are adding on the server. Is it the VRRP address or the physical address of the router's interface ip. How about the other server? Are you using the static route on those servers as well.

How about checking the arp table on the server/router when the route is removed. Try that and also try adding the static arp in case if arp is incomplete.

-amit singh

I have added a static route on the server to the physical ip address of the active vrrp router, the other server uses the default gateway which is the vrrp address, but that one is fine.

I have already tried doing an arp -d on the server, but to no avail

the strange thing is that the problem is intermittant.

hope someone can help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card